Chapter 43

"Here is your dress for today," Maid Lydia announced, coming out of Alice's closet with a periwinkle colored dress.

"Oh it's beautiful!" the princess exclaimed as she touched the silk fabric it was made out of. After she got dressed and Lydia brushed her hair and did her nails, Alice beamed at her reflection in the mirror. "This is perfect! The whole look you have put together is simply perfect for today. And today of all days!" Alice admired herself. Lydia laughed.

"I have a funny feeling that Derek will really like this dress," her Maid teased.

"I only hope that Prince Menace is smart enough to keep his distance," Alice implied.

"I am sure he will, especially after what happened," Lydia agreed.

"I'm really going to do this," the princess breathed.

"What did you parents say about the matter?"

"I haven't told them what I am announcing, my mother thinks I'm still going through with the wedding, but my father knows better," Alice told her. Lydia nodded.

"I will have my things packed before supper," her Maid said.

"Good, I will try to see you out, but I can't guarantee my presence," the princess warned.

"You will have much more pressing matters to take care of once the announcement is made," Lydia pointed out.

"Agreed. They are probably waiting for me," Alice said. Maid Lydia hugged her.

"Good luck."

"Thank you."

"Are you really sure you're going to do this?" Derek asked Alice a safe distance from the replaced red curtain, with his hands in hers.

"Yes," Alice answered.

"You do know the consequences that are going to follow?" he checked.

"I am well aware of what is going to be happening in a matter of a day."

"You're willing to do this to get what you truly want?"

"Derek, I have out much thought into this and I am certain that this is what I want. It is what's best for me and I know you may not see it, but it is going to benefit the kingdom so much more once this is all over," Alice responded.

"I hope you're right," Derek said half heartedly. Alice suddenly got butterflies in her stomach, knowing what was going to come after this. She glanced at the red curtain.

"Derek, I don't if I can do this," she doubted herself. He immediately pulled her in for a reassuring hug.

"You're going to be fine. Be brave and think of what it is that you truly want," Derek supported her. Alice hugged him tighter, clutching his shoulder and buried her head into the side of his chest.

"What if this is all a big mistake?"

"It's not, trust me. We're going to be here to fight and you've been preparing for this moment for months." Alice pulled away from his hug with shaky hands.

"Here I go," she smiled unsurely and stepped up to the red curtain. She looked behind her to see Derek's reassuring smile and he clasped her shoulder.

"I will be right behind you if anything happens." With that, the princess gulped, took a deep breath, and held her head high as she stepped into the mid morning sun light. The crowd below erupted with a mix of cheers and boo's as she came to the edge of the stone railing. Princess Alice raised her hand to quiet the crowd.

"I know many of you are not happy with the recent changes that are going to be made here in a matter of days," she started, "And I also know that many of you are disappointed and have looked down upon me because of who I have chosen to marry," the princess paused for effect, "But the truth is, I am willingly marrying the Prince from the Alda kingdom." The crowd started to whisper and so Alice continued, "In fact, it was not my choice at all, but my mother' choice who arranged for this to happen." There were several gasps from the crowd as the whispers started.

"Alice please! You are making a mistake!" her mother begged from her left hand side. Alice took no heed in her mother's words.

"See, I wanted a man of noble honor, someone who is honest and that I know without a doubt that I can trust. I wanted a man who will love me for who I am and protect me to his very last breath and I wanted a man who could love this kingdom with the same compassion as I have. Prince Rorick of the Alda kingdom does not meet any of these demands and it is because of that, that I refuse to marry him. I became of age yesterday and because the wedding is not to happen for another three days, I now have the power to change my fate. So, without further ado, I would like to announce that I hereby declare that I, Princess Alice of the Linque kingdom, is hereby calling off the wedding to Prince Rorick of the Alda kingdom." The crowd erupted with gleeful cheering and King Bard clapped with a proud smile on his face, while Queen Rosalind walked behind the curtain, outraged by her daughter's decision. Prince Rorick angrily stepped forward, but Captain Riley shoved him back and blocked the prince's path to which the prince cowered and ran back through the red curtain as well. Princess Alice held her hand up once again to silence the crowd.

"However, there will be consequences to my action regarding the safety of our kingdom. The deal was that I marry Prince Rorick to keep the peace between our kingdoms. Since the wedding is officially not going to happen, there could very well be attacks as soon as tomorrow." The crowd began to mumble with fear. "Please, do not be frightened! Because of this sudden change of arrangements, I am asking every woman and child to pack their belongings and get out of here as soon as you can. Take shelter along the country side in the far fetched farms on the outskirts of our kingdom on the Western side where the Aldans will not dare go and take the next ship headed out of the port to our friends across the sea," the princess advised. "As for the men, we will need your services to stay here and fight. Captain Derek Riley of the Royal Guard will take charge. Let us prepare for battle and defend what is rightfully ours!" The crowd erupted with cheers and tears, but Alice knew in her heart that she was making the right choice. She smiled and took it in a moment before turning on her heal to go through the red curtain. Ignoring her parents, she ran as fast as she could to the Royal Courtyard.

"THOMAS! THOMAS!" she shouted.

"I am here princess!" he came rushing through the hallway and stopped in front of her on the lush, green grass.

"I need you to take Lydia to the countryside. Leave before sunset and be back before midnight. It is your duty to make sure she gets there safe and sound until things here get sorted out," the princess ordered.

"You have my word. I will pack my things and let Ryan know he needs to prepare my horse," Thomas promised, breezing past Alice to collect his things.