Chapter 17

"Princess Alice," Maid Lydia knocked on her door the next morning.

"You may enter," the Princess allowed her to come in.

"The young knight wanted me to give this to you," Lydia handed Alice a small piece of parchment.

"Did he say who it was from?" she asked.

"Captain Riley," Maid Lydia answered. Alice opened the paper and read it to herself.

Dear Alice, I wanted to get this message to you, but did not know how to without being suspicious so hopefully you get this in time. For our next training session, I wanted to try something a little different to get you used to fighting like the men. I had your maid speak with her family and she got you the necessary items. I have a feeling you will like what we thought would help you. See you soon. -Derek

Alice was excited, but anxious to find out what the Captain of the Royal Guard had for her. "My lady?" Maid Lydia asked curious.

"It's nothing to fret over," Alice reassured her with a smile, "I only hope the day goes by quickly." Unfortunately, her day went the exact opposite, much to her annoyance.

"How does a Queen greet her subjects?" Alice thought for a moment and then replied,

"Greetings, whoever it may be, with a nice curtsy, and welcome to the Linque Kingdom."

"Very good!" Queen Rosalind beamed with pride. "How does a Queen walk?"

"With confidence and determination at a pace that says 'I have things to attend to'. A Queen walks with her head held high and either a neutral or slightly happy expression should be on her face. Oh! And a Queen, once married, shouldn't swing her hips when she is walking," Alice quickly added. Queen Rosalind smiled once more.

"You are doing swell my daughter! You will make an excellent Queen yet and will be wise beyond measure," her mother cooed.

"I'm not so sure about that, but thank you for the compliments," Alice said.

"My dear sweet girl, you will do just fine." Queen Rosalind clapped her hands. "Now off to your dance lessons! There is a new dress waiting for you in your room by the way." Princess Alice smiled to her mother as she raced to her room to see what the Royal Seamstresses had made her. It was a beautiful black dress that had sparkles placed expertly along the top portion of the dress. Maid Lydia helped her into her dress and followed her to the Banquet Hall. Her teacher was sharing a pleasant conversation with her mother and gasped when she saw the Princess.

"Oh Alice! You look amazing!"

"Thank you," Alice slightly blushed.

"You will need a dancing partner for today. Have you chosen someone to practice with?" Maid Lydia, the Queen, and Alice all shared a look of ignorance.

"You did not inform me that my daughter would need a partner for the continuation of her lessons!" Queen Rosalind shouted. The dance teacher clutched her book as she wilted under the Queen's penetrating gaze.

"My apologies Queen Rosalind, I thought you knew," she squeaked.

"Who will she dance with hmm? Her Maid?" the Queen continued her rant. Alice suddenly got a bright idea.

"It is ok mother, I know who I can ask to be my partner, or at least until my lessons are over," Alice replied. Her mother looked at her surprised that she knew of someone who would be so willing on such short notice. The Princess walked through the courtyard, receiving several strange looks from the guards as she passed. "DEREK! DEREK!" she called out.