Chapter 10

"My dear daughter," King Bard started, "how have your studies been?" The princess cut a few more flowers before happily replying,

"Mother says I only have until Saturday and then I will be done with my history lessons."

"And what of your other studies?"

"I don't like tea time, mannerisms of a queen isn't so bad, I start finances right after history, and I am very much looking forward to learning some new dances," Princess Alice said truthfully.

"Why is tea time unpleasing? You get to be with your mother do you not?"

"I love sitting in the courtyard or in the sun room, but I hate how mother is constantly scolding me. I wish she would listen for once and realize I don't want to marry because there is nobody out there that meets my standards." The King stopped and looked at his little princess. "Why so many questions?" Princess Alice asked as she continued her gardening.

"What kind of man would you like to marry and I promise to find someone suitable for you," the King asked. Alice stopped and with a dazed look on her face, thought of exactly what she wanted. After a few moments had passed, she started to come to a conclusion.

"Father," she said seriously, "I want a tall, handsome, strong man who values respect, honesty, trust, loyalty, integrity, equality, and modesty. I want a man who will love me for who I am, not for my body, wealth, or beauty. I want a man who every other woman would want without a doubt because of what he stands for. A man that every little boy wants to become because he is kind, brave, valiant, a spectacular leader, and respects those who are beneath him. I want a man who I would be proud to go anywhere with, who will be the light to my darkness, who will protect me and his subjects no matter the cost, who I feel safe being next to. But most of all, I want a man who is confident, loving, and down to earth," the princess finished. She gave a nod with a huge happy smile on her face. "That is a man who I want to spend the rest of my life with." Alice happily went back to trimming roses, the yellow ones this time, as her father sat down, slumping onto the lush, dark green grass.

"Those are high standards Alice," King Bard said carefully.

"I know father, but that is who I want and I will not settle for anything less. You gave me your word you would find him and I have faith in you father; you have never let me down."

"So you spoke with your father today?" Queen Rosalind asked with a smile, but a true smile at that. Alice beamed with joy.

"Oh yes! We talked about the kind of man I would like to marry."

"That should make finding your betrothed much easier," the Queen chuckled.

"I hope it does, but father said I had very high standards," Alice told her mother with a hint of disappointment in her voice. Queen Rosalind leaned forward to put a gentle hand on Alice's arm.

"My child, there is no such thing as standards that are too high. Reach for the top and never stop going above the clouds or the stars."

"Thank you mother," the young princess smiled shyly as a light blushed appeared on her cheeks. For once, tea time was enjoyable for Alice and even Maid Lydia found it enlightening with the Queen in such a jolly mood.

Before Alice reached the Grand Dining Hall, she stopped by the Royal Courtyard. It was dusk and the Royal Guard were putting their equipment away for the day. Princess Alice was having trouble finding the Captain and stopped the boy that walked past her, lightly grabbing his arm. The boy jumped startled and his breath was taken away when he realized it was none but the Princess who had stopped him. "I'm sorry if I startled you, but I'm looking for someone," she stated, "Perhaps you could help me?" The boy, still too shocked to speak, could only nod his agreement. "I'm looking for Captain Riley, could you point me in the right direction?" The boy nodded again, this time swallowing his dumbstruck attitude.

"H-he's right over there P-princess Alice," the boy said nervously.

"Thank you!" Alice exclaimed.

"O-of course," the boy breathed. Alice followed where he had pointed and carefully made her way through the crowd. The men whispered amongst themselves as she passed, but it didn't stop her. She spotted the Captain hanging pieces of chest armor along a wall and quickly made her way over.

"Captain!" she exclaimed.

"Princess Alice! What are you doing here? You should be at supper," Captain Riley spoke.

"I'll take it from here," an older guard with greying hair offered.

"Thank you Hue, don't take too long though, you have a son to get back to." Alice smiled to herself at the Captain's caring attitude.

"I wanted to say hello since I did not get to train with you today," she said sadly as she looked down at the floor.

"Don't worry about it, your the Princess for crying out loud! You're a busy person so don't be upset. Besides, your parents would throw a fit if they found out what you were doing," the Captain quickly shrugged it off.

"Ok, um, I still wanted to say hello though," Alice said.

"Well hello to you to Princess," Captain Riley joked. Alice smiled and looked at the hemming of her dress, embarrassed by her silly excuse to come down there. She looked back up to see Captain Riley staring at her with a cute smile on his face. Alice laughed and blushed lightly as she grabbed her own arm. "I'm sorry for staring. You should um, you should probably go. Wouldn't want you to get in trouble for being late again."

"Your right," Alice admitted, "I'll um, see you tomorrow then?" Captain Riley put his hands up in surrender.

"Hey, that's up to you when you can train and when you cannot," he said slowly backing away into the Halls of Knighthood. Princess Alice couldn't contain the smile on her face as she skipped to supper.

After supper, Princess Alice returned her history books in the library. She could faintly hear her parents speaking and went to say goodnight, but quickly slowed her pace when she realized they were arguing. She snaked between the bookshelves and when she found they were arguing about her, she was careful to stay hidden in the shadows.

"That is splendid news Bard, truly splendid indeed," Queen Rosalind said sarcastically as she threw her arms up in the air.

"That is what Alice said."

"You just had to ask her didn't you? Her request is nearly impossible!"

"I told her I would find a man that was suitable. I am sure we can find one who is close enough," King Bard tried to stay positive.

"How do you expect to do that especially when the one she actually liked was murdered?" the Queen argued. Alice grimaced as she remembered the day that went horribly wrong; the Prince she'll never get.

"What would you have me do then? I will not lie to her about a man's values!"

"Then don't," the Queen said irritated, "we use the last resort."

"NO! I refuse! I gave her my word and I could not do that to her," Kind Bard said defensively.

"There is NOT anyone out there that will satisfy her wants and dreams." Alice closed her eyes and frowned as the reality of her mother's words hit her. If she had not found her Prince now, she probably never would.

"But she would rather die than have us use the last resort," her father warned.

"We have to, there is simply no other way," Queen Rosalind said sadly. Kind Bard sighed defeated.

"She will not agree to it."

"She must for the sake of our kingdom," the Queen reasoned. Princess Alice had heard enough and she did not like what she'd heard.