Chapter One

Every day is the same.

Like a never-ending, unbroken, loop of the same events. I wake up, go to school, go home, do my chores, do my work and go to bed ready to repeat the exact same process again.

Today marked the beginning of that long and enduring process, as today was the dreaded first day of school.

I begin my day as usual, first by waking up to the vexatious and persistent screams of my alarm, followed by me getting changed to head downstairs to have a simple bowl of cereal. By 8:00AM sharp, I grab my school bag after shoving all my books in, and I head out the door. Just ahead of me, as usual, is my older brother, Jackson. We are ready to head out to school. We don't say much as we head down the path together, side by side. We both walked down the same path yet we went to completely different schools, it wasn't by choice.

I attend a regular high-school, the school where they teach algebra, and the history of some place I have never heard of. While my brother is forced to attend a boarding school, he learns the basic stuff like algebra, English, history, and such, but his school stands out as the extraordinary as the school teaches the special art of dragon training and riding. Sounds pretty cool huh. 

If I had a choice I would go there in a heartbeat, but the thing is... dragons just don't seem to bond with girls like they do the male sex. Certain boys can walk up to a wild dragon and become its best friend for life, while girls could walk up to a kind, trained, well-mannered dragon and be eaten, and mauled like there was no tomorrow.

I have never seen a dragon up close, the closest I have gotten is by looking through the 3rd-floor window on my school building where I can see them flying over and around the school of excelled excellence. Huge flying beasts, covered from head to toe in element proof scales. Creatures that just control and rule the skies, captivation and miraculous in their own way. They always look so wild, always are free, and are just... amazing.

We reach the end of the footpath where my brother and I will depart, he will take the right, and I'll go left. This was the last time I would see him until the holidays, 10 weeks without seeing him, yet I can't think of anything to say but, good luck, be safe, have fun, and goodbye. He, of course, repeats it back in the same fashion.

We say our goodbyes, and we take our separate paths. Most don't even know that he is my older brother, but I guess it is hard to believe as we look nothing alike. 

I have long locks of the light blonde shade, while he has straight chocolate brown hair, cut short. My eyes are compared to the colour of a clear sky, while his eyes are more of a mix of gold, and brown forming a sunny shade of hazel. He's perfect at everything he tries, while I am absolutely horrible at everything I do. 

The only similarity we have is our last name.

I soon reach the school after walking alone for about 5 minutes. The school is boarded with an off coloured limestone brick wall that is not fully intact and a metal gate that is flaking cheap black paint. I step into the school grounds where kids, running around in the dirty courtyard, and teens, mostly girls, talk along the wall or under the cover of the school. I make my way into the building, where floors are grey and have a slight glaze. I walk down the hall to the stairs where I climb to the third floor to my class that will begin in about 5 or so minutes.

I walk into my class, and take my seat before the lesson begins, of course, I spend my time staring at the dragons in the sky that are just visible from the window beside my seat.

Eventually, lunch arrives where I head to the bottom floor to the back, where I try to take a seat before they are all gone.

"Elena!" Leah shouts as she spots me, her and another both join me at my empty table,