Chapter 1 ~ An Unlikely Encounter

Lindsey's POV:

"Do I really have to go tonight?"

"Yes, Lindsey, you said I could sign you up to do it, so you have to go," Karra replied.

There was a basketball game tonight, and I wasn't really paying attention when Karra asked me to cheer with her and the spirit squad.

I heard: "Blah, blah, blah... not enough people... blah, blah... You are such an amazing best friend... blah, blah, blah... Pleaseeee!!!!" So, to stop her from rambling, I said yes.

The game was supposed to start at 7:00 p.m., and it was 5:00. I already started getting ready because we had to be there before 6:30.

Karra applied falsies, a light gold and brown gradient eyeshadow, winged eyeliner, and a red glitter heart on her cheek. She tied her long, sleek, jet black hair up into her signature high half up half down.

Her hair and makeup was always so perfect. I wasn't really into the dramatic stuff, but Karra insisted on doing my makeup.

"Open your eyes!" Karra scolded me.

"But I can't wear fake eyelashes! By the end of the game, half of it's gonna be hanging off."

"No, it's not." she replied, and stuck it on.

She then gave me a subtle wing, and a gold glitter star on my cheek. She tied my long hair up into a high ponytail and curled the strands loosely.

"You know, since you're the only one that's not officially a member of the spirit squad, you get the special gold glitter star," Karra mentioned while smiling.

"Aw, I feel so special," I said sarcastically while laughing.

She rolled her eyes at me.

We got to the school at 6:15, fifteen minutes before everyone else, because Karra was the spirit squad leader, or 'coordinator' as she called it.

As everyone started to come and gather outside the gym, we saw our other friend, Leia.

"Leia! Oh my gosh! How was your trip?" I asked.

Leia went on a trip to Japan for Christmas break and only came back today.

She was the more bubbly, dramatic one in our friend group. Her blonde, wavy hair was tied up perfectly in a high ponytail, with little baby hairs framing her face.

"It was so amazing! I learned how to say: 'Where's the bathroom' , 'May I have food', and 'that's so cute!"

"Yup, that's sound about right," Karra said. We all laughed.

"Oh, the games about to start! Let's go in." Karra said excitedly. I sighed as we walked through the doors of the gym.

This is gonna be a long night.

Jake's POV:

Another game tonight.

Tonight there was a basketball game, and I'm on the team. If we won this game, we would make it into the semi-finals. I wanted to make it, but tonight I really didn't feel like going.

"Jake! You almost ready to leave?" my mom called from downstairs.

"Yeah mom. I'm almost ready!" I grabbed my white Nike basketball shoes and headed downstairs.

When I walked downstairs, I went straight to the refrigerator to grab a water bottle before I left.

As soon as I turned back around, my mom was standing by the island in the middle of the kitchen.