Chapter 31 ~ I Hope You Remember

Jake's POV:

I felt a lump in my throat beginning to form as I rerouted my way from Lindsey's house to the hospital.

How had she gotten into the accident?

The drive remarkably long, although the hospital was only 20 minutes away.

The red EMERGENCY sign finally came into view as I turned down the road.

I don't know if I was relieved to see that sign, or even more nervous.

I quickly parked my truck into the nearest stall in the lot, and rushed in through the glass sliding doors.

As soon as I entered, I saw Leia and Karra, as well as Liam and Chris. Sitting next to Leia was Jordan, and he was holding her hand.

Lindsey's parents were sitting close to them as well. And, her brother was her too. I was gonna take a beating if she told him about our fight.

All eyes looked toward me as I approached the front desk.

"Hi, I need to go see Lindsey Grey right away." I said to the lady frantically.

She nodded as she typed on her keyboard, probably Lindsey's name.

"I'm sorry young man, you can't see her right now. She's in surgery." she told me with a sad face.

I nodded, deciding not to push it and make the lady behind the desk mad.

I sat in the chair next to Karra and Chris and brought my hands to my face.

"What happened?" I said quietly, muffled by my hands.

"I don't know all of the details. She was driving alone." Karra answered.

It felt like we sat in that white waiting room forever.

Finally, a nurse came out with a clipboard in her hands.

"Lindsey Grey?" she asked.

All of us stood up from our seats.

"She can take visitors now. Only two at a time though. She's a little drugged up."

We all nodded and agreed that her parents would go in first, then I would go in with her brother. Great.

When her parents came out, they motioned for Aaron and I to go in.

"How is she?" I asked her dad when I was halfway through the hallway.

"She's just a little out of it, but other than that, she's as good as a girl who just got surgery can get." he answered.

I nodded and walked to the door of her room.

Before I could walk in, Aaron placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Just remember, she might not look the same as she always does. She'll be out of it." he said.

"I know."

"I'll come in a few minutes. You go see her for now." he told me.

"Thanks." I said, before walking into the room.

I saw Lindsey laying in the bed, her right leg wrapped.

She had her eyes closed and was resting peacefully.

She was still beautiful as always.

I sat down in the chair next to her bed and took her hand in mine.

I sat there in silence, pondering what went wrong.

"Jake?" I heard a small, quiet voice ask.

"Hmm?" I looked up to see Lindsey staring at me.