Chapter 2 ~ Fish Face

Lindsey's POV:

As we rounded the corner of the gym doors where he had stopped me before, he gently let go of my hand.

I looked up at him with a face of confusion and kind of anger.

"What in the world were you thinking!" I 'whisper-yelled' to him a little harshly.

He rubbed the back of his neck and gave a little, 'Oops, I can try to explain' face.

"Okay, first of all, I'm really sorry. Second, my name is Jake." he explains to me.

"Yea, I kinda figured out your first name," I replied with a little sass.

He continued, "So, before I came to the game, my mom was bugging me again about why I don't have a girlfriend. So, to stop her from asking, I told her I did have one. But, the only problem was, I really didn't."

I was a little confused.

"So, why did you decide to pick me?" I asked.

"I saw you with the spirit squad when I was sitting on the bench. I noticed you had a gold star instead of the red hearts everyone else had. Why?"

I then explained the whole story of why my sticker was different, and how I wasn't really part of the squad, to this random stranger.

Great, now he looks confused.

I then got a text from my mom.

Mom: Five minutes away.

I quickly texted back, 'ok' and continued the conversation.

"Sorry, continue?" I said to him.

"Can I explain it to you over text?" he then asked me.

He wants my number?

Not thinking, I switched phones with him and we input each other's numbers into the other device.

As he handed my phone back to me, it lit up and started to buzz. It was my mom.

"Okay, I've got to go," I told Jake.

"Oh," I added, "and to be completely honest, I have never given my number to a total stranger before."

"Haven't you ever heard of the saying 'stranger danger' before?" he replied. "Yea," I replied softly, "but I think your more of a stranger, not so much danger."

He let out a little smirk, and I turned around with a smile on my face and exited the gym.

What just happened?

Jake's POV:

She was the perfect girl to be my fake girlfriend, if that makes sense. She was beautiful, smart, witty, and definitely unique.

But, only one problem, I have no idea how she feels about me. My heart started to beat rapidly as I grabbed my duffle bag and walk out the gym doors.

I took out my keys from the side pocket of my bag and started my truck.

As I was driving home, I couldn't get the thought of her out of my head.

'Lindsey', I thought to myself. Huh, pretty name too.

Lindsey's POV:

When I got home, I immediately took off all the gunk that was on my face, also known as 'makeup'.

It wasn't that I completely hated it, I just didn't like the extra stuff, like foundation, concealer, and dramatic eyeshadow. A little mascara is all I needed.