Chapter 37 ~ You're My Inspiration

Lindsey's POV:

I was sitting on my couch when the doorbell rang.

"Coming!" I yelled, grabbing my crutches and making my way to the door.

I opened it to see Jake standing there.

"Jake, what are you doing here? I thought you were gonna talk to-"

He didn't let me finish my sentence and just walked into my house.

"Okay, what happened?" I asked him.

He sat down on my couch, put his head on the back of it, and sighed.

"Did you talk to him?" I said, sitting down next to him and placing my crutches on the ground next to the couch.

He nodded.

"And how did it go?" I asked, trying to make him at least mutter a single word.

He brought his head off the couch and rested his elbows on his knees, leaning forward.

"It depends on how you look at the situation." he finally spoke.

"What do you mean?"

"He said he was sorry for what he had done, leaving my mother and I, and that he went away because he didn't think he could handle being a father at that time. He said that when I was born, he didn't get to do the schooling he wanted. He knew that the little education he had wasn't enough to provide for our family. So, he left." he said before burying his face in his hands.

"Isn't that a good thing? I mean, the fact that he shared what happened." I said him, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"I guess." he sighed.

"So, what are you gonna do about it?"

"He said he'll be in town for a few more days, but he's leaving next weekend." he answered.

"I really hope this works out, Jake." I told him with a small smile.

He smiled back and pulled me in for a hug.

After that, we turned on the TV to watch movies.

I suddenly remembered something.

"Guess what!" I said, getting up from his chest that I had been resting my head on.

"What?" he said, looking at me curiously.

"I get my cast off tomorrow! I just have to wear a brace now!"'

I had this stupid cast on for so long, I was thrilled to get it off.

"That's awesome Linds! Does that mean no more crutches too?"

"Yup, no more crutches either." I smiled.

We continued to watch the movie, until Jake paused it.

"What's up?" I asked.

"Tomorrow, after you get your cast off, come to my house. I have a present to give you." he said with a mischievous look in his eyes.

"Are you planning something?" I asked.

"Sort of. I just want to give you something. You know, as a way to congratulate you for getting the cast off."

"Oh, okay." I answered with a smile.

"I should be getting home, I'll see you tomorrow okay?" he said, planting a goodbye kiss on my head.

"Okay, bye Jake." I smiled as he let himself out.

He didn't want me to crutch all the way to the front door just to tell him goodbye.

What a gentleman.