Chapter 23 ~ Half a Winner

Lindsey's POV:

"Go Jake!" I yelled from the bleachers of our high school gymnasium.

I wore the new pair of jeans I bought from the mall and Jake's oversized (for me anyways) black basketball hoodie.

Jake made his eighth layup of the night, and it was only first quarter.

I sat next to Leia and Karra, although they were actually cheering the team on with the rest of the spirit squad.

"So, how was the mall?" Karra asked me.

"It was good. I ate and I got this new pair of jeans!" I replied.

"I can't believe you went to the mall without me! I need some new shorts, my other ones ripped too much and now I can't wear them." Leia chimed in.

Karra and I both giggled and then turned our attention back to the game.

First quarter just finished, and second quarter was now beginning.

Chris, who was in the point guard position, came dribbling down the court. He was the fastest on the team, and was the best ball handler.

He faked left and passed it to David, another player, who was on the wing.

David dribbled down to the bottom of the wing, and Jake cut to the basket, specifically at the box. He went up for a shot, and someone fouled him.

The sound of the whistle echoed through the gymnasium, and Jake walked to the free throw line.

The first shot he took swished.

"Good job Jake!" I yelled.

He turned to the side, and as soon as he caught a glimpse of me, he smiled back.

He dribbled the ball a few times, and then set himself up for the shot.

Jake's POV:

I had just made my first free throw, and it was a swish. My teammates came and high-fived me and then went back to their places.

I turned to my right, and saw that Lindsey was smiling at me and yelled "Good job Jake!"

I returned the smile and then turned back to focus on the basket.

"Hot girl, Levi. Mind if I talk to her a bit later?" a guy from the other team said when I was dribbling the ball, preparing to take my next shot.

Rage ran through me hearing those words slip off his tongue. I felt like punching him square in the gut.

I have to stay calm, he's just trying to get in my head.

I calmly breathed out, and then took my shot. It made it in, and I ran back to the other end of the court to play defense.

Lindsey's POV:

Jake seemed a little bit upset right before he took his second free throw shot. The guy on the other team probably said something to annoy him. I brushed it off and then turned my attention to the game.

A while after half time passed, it was almost at the end of the third quarter.

Jake was playing as hard as he possibly could, and our team was up 78-63.

We were on defense at the moment, and Jake stole the ball from a guy on the other team that wasn't that good of a dribbler.

"Make that layup Jake!" I yelled out.

When he almost made the basket, an opponent from the opposite team was still in front of him when he was going for the layup.

Jake couldn't go any other way, so he had no choice but to go in the same direction that the other player was defending.