Chapter 22 ~ Only You

We got out of the truck and walked through the parking lot to get to the indoor mall.

"Do you want something to eat?" Jake asked me.

"Okay, can we go look in the food court?" I responded.

"Sure." he said while turning to the right to enter the food court.

"Any place you want to eat?" I asked, not really sure of what I wanted to eat or where. But, I was sure of one thing. I'm really hungry.

"How about Panda Express?" he said, pointing to Panda at the end of the food court.

"Okay." I said.

"How 'bout you go find a table and I'll order our food. It that okay?" he asked.

"Sure, I want a chicken mushroom bowl with white rice please." I told him.

He nodded while walking to the other end of the food court.

I looked around and started to realize that most of the tables were already taken.

I walked around a little more and finally found a table with two seats at each end.

"Perfect." I said in my head as I walked to the table and sat down.

I took my phone out of my pocket and started scrolling.

"Hmm, look who we have here." I heard a voice say.

I pulled my attention away from my phone and looked up to see two guys around my age standing on the other side of the table.

"Now, what's a pretty girl like you doing here by yourself?" one of them said, sitting down across from me while the other one continued to stand.

"My...my boyfriend went to go get us food, he'll be coming back soon." I stuttered.

"Sure, okay. Now why don't you stop lying and come walk around the mall with us?" the guy standing up said.

"No thanks." I said turning my attention back to my phone.

"Aw, come on, have a little fun. I'm Toby, and that's Derek. Just come walk with us."

"I said, no." I told them furrowing my eyebrows in frustration.

Can they not take a hint?!

"Is everything okay?" I heard a familiar voice ask from behind me.

I turned around to see Jake standing there with a tray of our food in his hands.

Thank goodness Jake came.

"Yea, can't a guy talk to a girl?" the one named Toby said.

"I don't really think this girl wants to talk to you." Jake said in response to his snarky comment.

"And how would you know that?" Derek butted in.

"Because my girlfriend doesn't like talking to strangers. And she would've left if I didn't ask her to save us a table." Jake said.

The word girlfriend rolled off his tongue like there was nothing to it. Sure, we're official, but this is the first time I heard him say it.

"And what if we don't want to?" Derek replied.

Jake placed the tray down on the table and walked closer to them.