Chapter 30 ~ Talking Through the Pain

Lindsey's POV:

"What do you mean Leia thinks something's up?" I said excitedly through the phone.

"She kept asking why you weren't talking to her a lot. She said Jordan's been avoiding her too."

"I just didn't want something about Jordan's ask to slip unconsciously. I'll talk to her. Just make sure she doesn't talk to Jake, or else everything will go downhill."

"I'll tell Chris to keep an eye on him. Don't worry." she told me.

"Okay, talk to you later Karra." I said, hanging up the phone.

I then went to my messages and quickly texted Leia.

Me: hey, can we talk? meet me at cafe house in 15 minutes

Leia: sure, see you there

I grabbed my backpack and house keys, then made my way downstairs and out the door.

I decided just to walk to the cafe, since it was only a few minutes away from my house.

When I arrived, I saw Leia's bike chained to the bike rack outside.

She could drive, but she liked to ride her bike if she had the chance.

I walked in, the smell of coffee and baked goods filling the air.

I saw Leia sitting at one of the two seater tables towards the corner of the small cafe.

She waved me over and I went to sit down.

"Hey, I hope you weren't waiting long." I said, placing my backpack on the back of the chair and taking a seat.

"No, I got here like seven minutes ago. I ordered your usual." she said, referring to the cup of chai tea sitting on a coaster.

"Thanks," I said, sipping the hot tea.

"Yup. So, how come you've been avoiding me?" she asked.

There it was. I knew she was going to ask sooner or later, since she wasn't afraid to confront a problem at its source.

"It's complicated. If I tell you, it would ruin the surprise." I said, letting the word surprise slip from my lips.

This is why I was avoiding her. I could keep a secret, but sometimes I would release hints not meant to be released.

"A surprise?" she said with wide eyes.

"Yes, a surprise, and if you keep pushing I might spoil it. So stop!"

"Okay! Okay! Ahh I'm so excited!" she squealed.

"And this is why I tried so hard not to hint at anything."

"So how are you and Jake?" she asked.

It's been two weeks since the incident happened, and we haven't talked since.

"I don't even know if there is a Jake and I anymore."

"It's okay, Linds. He'll come to his senses soon enough."

"I really hope so."