Chapter 36 ~ Ready?

Jake's POV:

"I'm gonna talk to him." I said to Lindsey, who was crutching her way next to me.

"That's good Jake. I'm really proud of you." Lindsey said back to me.

"You sound like my mother." I scoffed.

"Hey, I was just trying to lighten the situation." she said with a huff.

"I'm sorry. I'm just not in the best mood." I said, stopping and hugging her from the side.

"Okay. You're forgiven." she said with a small smile.

The warning bell rang, telling us class would start in five minutes.

"I'll see you at lunch." I said.

"Okay." she said as I gave her a hug and a kiss on the head.

She made her way to her fourth period while I made my way to mine.

"Good morning Jake." my teacher said from his desk.

"Morning Mr. Yost." I said to him.

Mr. Yost was one of my favorite teachers because he was only in his twenties, and he didn't give a lot of homework.

To be fair, it was art class. But still, I liked it.

"Okay guys, you'll just continue to work on the piece you have chosen to be your inspiration." he said.

"I'll be walking around and checking up on you guys to see your progress. Good luck!" he added, while turning around to write something in his notebook.

I opened my sketchbook to the page of my inspiration drawing.

I was not done yet, but it was coming together really well. The main part of the drawing was almost finished, then I just needed to add a few more details.

I took a pencil and eraser out of my bag and continued to work on the drawing.

"It looks like your inspiration is coming together very nicely, Jake." Mr. Yost said when he walked by my desk.

"Thank you."

"It looks like you're drawing someone, instead of something. Most people are drawing an object. What made you choose a person?" he asked me.

"This person inspires me in so many ways. And if you look closely, it's not one person, but two people." I said, pointing at a specific spot.

"Ah, I see that now. I having a feeling this will be one of the best works that come from this project. Keep up the good work!" he said, then walked to the next person.

I continued to work on the piece until the bell rang. I closed my sketchbook, and put my pencil and eraser into my backpack.

I swung it over my shoulder and walked to my next class.

Lindsey was waiting outside the door on her phone.

"Hey, ready for lunch?" I said to her while carrying my sketchbook.

"Yup." she said, looking up and smiling at me.

"Can I see?" she said, referring to my sketchbook.

"Sure." I said handing it to her.

"These are really nice Jake." she said smiling at each page she flipped through.

When she landed on the one I was just working on, I took the book back.

"Sorry that one's not finished." I said, closing it back up and putting it into my backpack.

"Oh, okay." she said.

"I'll show it to you as soon as I finish it. Promise." I told her.

She smiled and nodded, then we continued to walk to the lunchroom.

~~~~~

"Mom, I'm home." I said as I walked into my house after school.

"I'm in the kitchen! Is Lindsey with you?" she asked.

"Okay I'm coming. And no I dropped her off at home already." I said, walking into the kitchen.

"So, are you gonna leave soon?" she asked.

"Yea, probably in like half an hour or so." I answered.

"Where are you guys meeting?"

"The restaurant across the street from the old town basketball park." I answered.

"Oh, that's a nice place." she said in response.

"So what made you decide to talk to him?" she added.

"A friend that went through the same thing said it might make me feel better." I answered her.

"That's good that you had someone with you that understood your situation. I wish I had that when I was your age." she said, her eyes pooling with tears.

"Mom, it's okay." I said, going to her and engulfing her in a hug.

Her dad left her and her family when she was around 16. He didn't try to contact her until she was in her twenties, and turned him down immediately. I think she still regretted not talking to him.

"I've gotta get going. Love you mom." I said.

"Love you too sweetie. Good luck." she said to me.

I gave a small smile and walked out of the house to my truck.

The whole way there I just thought about different scenarios of how the conversation would go. It would either be a great one, or a crushing one. I don't think there is any in between.

When I reached the restaurant, I pulled into the parking stall on the side of the building.

I sat in my truck for a minutes, contemplating whether I should just start my truck again and leave. Then again, I knew I would regret it in the end. So, I sucked it up and got out of my truck.

When I walked through the doors, he was sitting at the table next to the check in desk.

"Hey son."

Hi daisies! I'm so sorry I didn't update as early as I wanted to, school has me swamped :( Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Also, thank you guys sooo much for 10K!! You guys amaze me everyday at how awesome you guys are! See you in the next update!