THIRTY-FOUR

R E C A P

On our way my phone dinged with a text alert from Jasper. I pulled up the text reading it.

Hey baby. Can you send me that cute pic of us kissing? xx

Yeah sure! Which one? XP

The next text made my heart drop to my stomach and tears prick in my eyes.

C H A P T E R  T H I R T Y - F O U R

It took Embery a minute to notice that I had stopped walking. When he did he turned around facing me. He walked over to where I stood frozen, gripping onto my phone so hard I almost crushed it into a million pieces. "Britt. What's wrong?" He as with anxiety laced in his tone. The only words I could get out were, "Jasper."

    Embery grabbed the phone out of my grip, his eyes flying across the screen a mile a minute.

The one we had the guy take of us in front of the fountain at the mall just a few minutes ago. Remember? 

Embery handed me back my phone before quickly wrapping his arms around me. His strong arms latched onto me as I threw my arms around his neck, clinging to him for dear life. "Oh Britt." He cooed as he allowed me to melt into his chest with our hug. He slowly lowered us to the ground so that he practically had me sitting on his lap.

   I held back a sob, trying not to cry in his ear even though no tear were coming out of my eyes. "Shh... It's okay. Everything is going to be okay," He assured me in a soft voice. I squeezed my eyes shut, burying my face into the crook of his neck. He tightened his grip on the hug, rocking me back and forth slowly.

   After him holding me and letting me calm down for a few minutes, he pulled back from the hug. "Hey, it's all going to be okay." He said quietly. He cupped my face in his hands and stared straight into my eyes. And in that moment I swear I could have seen the colors in his eyes dancing. (picture above) It took him a minute to snap out of his daze before he leaned in towards me. He was coming right at my lips. He was only a few inches away from me before he moved his head up and pressed his lips to my forehead.

    He started to stand, pulling me up with him. We both dusted ourselves off before he said, "Why don't we get you on home now." He told me. I nodded in agreement, unable to form any such type of words. He grabbed his hand in mine, in a friendly matter, and started walking back the path to my house at a human pace.

   We walked in silence for a good half and hour until the familiar house came in view. We walked up the stairs to the front porch and I swung open the front door. I stepped inside pulling Embery in behind me, dropping our hands so Jasper didn't see them. "We're home!" I yelled through the quiet house. "Up here!" Carlisle called out from the floor above us. I walked up the glass stairs with Embery trailing behind me.

   "Hey Britt," Emmett said as we passed by the lounge, where he still sat playing video games. "Hey Emmett," I replied in a monotone voice. "Embery? Hey man!" Emmett said pausing his game and standing up to greet Embery. "Hey Emmett! Any chance I could talk to you outside brother?" Embery asked casually and friendly.

Once again my body froze.

He can't tell him.