Chapter 3--My Car's Name is Daisy

When school started I woke up earlier than the boys. It always felt awkward when I was with them which is why my intentions were to always head out early to avoid them. It's worked smoothly so far. After getting dressed I would grab some breakfast and then drive over to campus. Then when I would get home, it would be dark and the boys were either having dinner or have retreated into their room.

I spend my whole day on campus. Between classes, studying, and meeting new people I would never see Pierce. A few times I caught a glimpse of him, but I would steer clear. He would be talking or laughing with a few people so it's not like he would notice me. The last thing I wanted was to be deeply tied or associated with Pierce.

It's not like I hated having the guys around. I just didn't feel this need to interact with them. I'm here for school and studies, not to bond excessively with my roommates who I was planning on replacing anyways. Yeah, I want a social life. But I couldn't see myself having a social life with these two.

When I arrived home, the brothers would typically be in the kitchen, talking and making dinner. I would acknowledge them, giving a wave or nod. Pierce would ask if I want dinner but I would always eat it before arriving. Then I would go to my room and study or finish homework. Once they were watching a movie and asked if I wanted to join. They must think I'm ridiculously lame for never participating, but I was simply never interested.

I sank into my room, drawing and studying. Making buildings that were probably never going to exist.

"Hey," Pierce knocked on my door one night. He walked in examining how my floor was suddenly occupied by blueprints, notes, and opened textbooks. "Aaron and I are going into the city. We wanted to know if you want to come?"

"I'm only on 17th Century architecture." I muttered on autopilot.

"So...that's a no." Pierce lingered for a moment longer before realizing I wasn't going to move. Before he walked away he said, "Look up French Baroque. It's beautiful."

I thought the boys had left but a few minutes later I felt another set of eyes on me. I turned over my shoulder to tell Pierce I couldn't go when I saw it was Aaron. He was watching me intently. His arms crossed over his broad chest. I stared back but soon realized I was being observed like a bug under a microscope.

"Having fun, Birdie?" He asked. Instead of waiting for an answer, he simply walked away with his brother.

That was my first Friday night in Miami. Everyone was out having fun and going to parties. I was left in my room, flipping through notes and pages of history. At night, all I could hear from my room was the party boats that drifted down the canal outside our building. Not me, I stayed home. Learning about the French Baroque technique.

It was Saturday morning when I realized, I didn't have school. It sounds like something stupid to realize, but over the week my ability to avoid the Mosdenea brothers was so good that I didn't want to break that streak. A part of me dreaded what would happen today. Maybe they would leave to do something in Miami because it's a Saturday. I'm not sure how to act or even talk to the boys. So it took me summoning all of my pride to walk out of my room.

My hair was an absolute mess and even though I should have cared, I didn't. If I was going to live with these two until I could find a replacement, they might as well get used to seeing me in a tank top and pajama shorts with zombie hair.

I was hoping that the boys would still be asleep. Instead, Pierce was at the stove flipping pancakes. "Hey Parker," he grinned at me. "Want some breakfast?"

I couldn't help but realize how amazing the food smelled. "You cook?" I asked.

"Yeah I used to cook all the time," He seemed to want to add something more to his comment but he stopped himself and took the pan off the stove. "Do you want some?"