Chapter 23.5--Two Stars Shine Brighter Than One

I used to always wonder why Ferraris were such a big deal. In my eyes, they were always the kind of show off sports car. The one to simply show off how much money you have. But I was wrong. So very very wrong. I wanted to take this car to a race track and drive it all day long. It was like sitting inside a rocket ship.

"You're going to get pulled over," I said to Aaron. He only smirked and shifted gears.

Driving as fast as Aaron was meant people stayed clear from the Ferrari. On the interstate, everyone moved away from us like we were a rock in a stream. When Aaron pulled off the interstate onto the exit, he slowed down. We were driving down one of the brightest strips in Miami. People were walking the streets like they were headed to parties. On the road, we would get glances from pedestrians but Aaron and I were surrounded by other sports cars.

Aaron pulled into a hotel. The valet quickly came around the car and held the doors open as we got out. Aaron came to my side, putting his hand on my lower back as he led me into the hotel. There were several signs indicating in which direction to find the ballroom where the gala was being held. We had to show our invitations to someone outside the entrance of the room before they let us through.

"Whoa," I said once we were in the ballroom. There was an open bar at one end and a band to the other. A small dance floor was placed next to the stage where the band was playing. It was light jazz music that set the tone well. I kind of felt like I entered a party from the twentieth century. There was a big chandelier and tables where a few people were sitting down. The party itself was huge. All the women were dressed elaborately and all the men were in tuxedos.

I'm in a Great Gatsby reenactment, I thought to myself.

A waiter stopped in front of Aaron and I. He had champagne and Aaron grabbed me a glass. I looked up at him, wondering why he didn't grab some. "Designated driver," He said to me with a smirk.

I stayed close to Aaron. Several people—typically older men—walked up to him to congratulate him. They said he was well deserving and they would wish him the best of luck with the project. "Well aren't you Mr. Popular," I said taking a sip of my champagne.

"You'd be too if they knew you were the architect," He said slowly walking us to another end of the room.

I frowned, "They don't know I designed the layout?"

Aaron grinned, looking at me sideways. "Just wait, you're about to meet the abundantly wealthy."

I couldn't help roll my eyes. Did he class as the abundantly wealthy? Aaron grabbed my hand in his and led me through several people. I couldn't help noticing the women here all wore diamonds and pearls. Some of the older men were wearing ascots or holding a handkerchief. I was utterly bewildered.

There is no way people still dress this way, I thought to myself. But as I kept thinking it, I kept seeing it on several people.

The waiters kept walking around, holding drinks and small little appetizers of food. There were several people at the open bar who were all laughing. And of course, couples were dancing to the band. "Parker," I heard my name called out. Both Aaron and I turned around.

Cole Parris was walking towards us. He was wearing a tuxedo and his hair was combed back. Matt Kingsmen followed his best friend. "Are you enjoying your evening?" Mr. Parris asked as he shook our hands. "I'm glad you both came."

Matt gave me a filtrations smile, "Don't you clean up well."

I rolled my eyes but kept my smile, "Always nice seeing you Mr. Kingsmen."