Chapter 21--Rain Seems To Make Everything Romantic

I don't know what that is, I texted the girls on my phone. I was sitting out on the balcony eating a fruit salad when Kellie suddenly made a new group chat. It was specifically just to communicate between her, Victoria, and I. Kellie had called it Girls Group. Which Victoria changed to Chicas. Neither of us complained.

You don't know what Miracle Mile is? Victoria texted back. She added a few surprised and annoyed emojis. I simply rolled my eyes—thankful she couldn't see.

Ok it's one thing to not ever go to Miracle Mile, it's another to never have heard of it. You're living under a rock Parker. Kellie's bubbled popped up.

I had asked the girls for advice on where to shop for my evening dress. I guess it's an evening dress. I never thought I would actually use that term. Evening dress. It made me feel like the snotty rich person. I'm far from ever being that elegant or graceful. What I need is Mia Thermopolis transformation like in Princess Diaries. Nevertheless, I had to look for something fancy and all the local stores I typically shop at are the best places in town...for retail.

While Kellie and Victoria ganged up on me about Miracle Mile, I decided to do my own research. Miracle Mile, a one-way street literally filled with dress shops. It's wedding dress galore. I didn't have to look at the dresses or the names of the stores to know it was going to be expensive. Its very location and name was already causing my pockets to scream.

But they're just wedding dresses, I texted the group after Victoria had ranted about how beautiful it is.

They've got prom dresses too, Kellie added in. You're bound to find something.

She was right. Even if the stores really were focused on wedding dresses, the pictures also showed they had prom dresses. I'm sure that if they have dresses for prom and weddings, they would probably have evening gowns as well. Or a really fancy prom dress that isn't filled with sparkles. I didn't think I would have to shop for prom ever again. My last prom dress was everything but unique. It was typical and not extraordinary. I wanted something simple and my mom wanted something extravagant. I mean, 1980s shoulder puffs extravagant. We settled for simple. After a series of arguments and my brothers backing me up.

Instead of having to deal with making my mother happy, I was stressed out for a totally different reason. I sighed and texted the chat, On average how much will this cost?

Everything included, Victoria said. Dress, hair, nails, shoes, jewelry, etc. I'd say a grand.

Thousand dollars for sure, Kellie confirmed.

I don't have a thousand dollars lying around like scrap change, I could already feel the stress building up in me. Victoria you know how much I make.

Well Pierce said designer!

Do I look like I can afford designer?

I put my phone down thinking how that was enough of the topic for me to handle today. I replaced my phone with my textbook and started highlighting different pieces of information. It was a cloudy day. Pierce had classes but mine were so early in the morning that I decided to come back in the afternoon. I didn't want to stay on campus when it looked like it was going to rain so I headed back in Daisy and made some chocolate milk to enjoy while I sat down and studied.

I was in the middle of highlighting notes when I heard the door open. I checked the time and realized it was too early for Pierce to be back. When I turned around in my seat I saw Aaron standing at the front door, taking his shoes off and loosening his tie. I smiled and stood up, pulling my jacket closer to me as I walked into the living room.