Chapter 18.5--The Sun Tastes Like Honey

The hotel was at full swing. People were jumping around, singing, blowing on loud trumpets, and drinking. A lot of drinking. I didn't expect getting to the roof would be easy, but I was hoping it would be open to see the fireworks.

Aaron was really excited. The entire ride over I had to explain to him that we would probably have to be guests at the hotel in order to enjoy the rooftop but Aaron thought of it as a challenge. He viewed this as a mission or game. But there was no way I was going to go up 64 flights of stairs to get to the roof. Absolutely no way.

The moment we arrived to the hotel, Aaron parked his motorcycle in valet. He tipped the man—even though Aaron did the work of parking his bike. Then he took my hand and led me into the bright and loud hotel. It was another typical hotel in the heart of Miami. Except, I chose it because it's the tallest building in Miami. It overlooks the skyline and bay. I could already picture the fireworks exploding over the bay to celebrate the new year. The only other reason I chose the hotel was because students on campus were talking about the fireworks over the bay. And I had a feeling our view from the top of the hotel would be amazing.

Aaron pulled me along through the hotel. We had to maneuver our way through a small crowd of people until we reached the elevator. It didn't take long before the doors opened, letting several people out. We snuck inside when it emptied. Then we realized—like I had guessed—that there was an electronic lock that we needed a key to.

I raised my eyebrow at Aaron—about to say 'I told you so.' Because I told him—I specifically said that there was no way we would be able to get into the elevator without a room key. Before I could tell him I was right, another couple entered the elevator. They were drunk and laughing. The woman's heels in one hand as she swayed side to side. The man quickly swiped his card in front of the lock and Aaron took the opportunity to press the top floor.

The man—all giddy with his hands wrapped around the lady's waist—looked confused. As he hiccupped he said, "That's not my floor man. Whatcha doing?"

"My bad," Aaron said flatly. The man laughed saying it was ok. Then swiped his card again, hitting a floor I'm sure was still not his.

The couple started to make-out vigorously. I thought they were going to take their clothes off at one point because their hands started trailing to literally every part of their bodies. I rolled my eyes, trying to contain a laugh. When I glanced at Aaron, I could automatically see the annoyance in his eyes. He didn't look uncomfortable like I thought he would—like I knew I felt—he just seemed purely irritated. When the couple got out of the elevator, they giggled their way down the hall.

Aaron took a step closer to me as if where the couple last stood was suddenly infected with a fatal disease. "What?" I asked suddenly entertained. "Did that make you uncomfortable?"

"No," He said it so casually that it was hard not to believe. "I just never understood why elevators were a thing."

I remembered that Aaron had never been in love. Which means he's never felt what it's like to be in love. I'm sure the couple in the elevator were far from love, but they were definitely in lust. Those two always seem to go together. "They just couldn't wait," I commented vaguely.

Aaron smirked, his eyes locked with the doors of the elevator. "I know that feeling."

I kept my eyes forward, staring at the same spot he was staring at. My lips were trying really hard not to smile but it was nearly impossible. I wasn't a hundred percent sure if he was talking about me, but by the way his eyes flicked in my direction I could only assume. At least I wasn't blind to see that. It might have been better to be blind though, that way I wouldn't have blushed as hard as I did.