Chapter 30--We Got Caught Playing Tag

All my classes were finally meaningful to me. Sure, they blended together but so did the time. I was sitting in my intro to architecture class when I got another text on my phone. I quickly opened the notification and smiled at the text Aaron sent me.

Let's go out for a ride tonight, Aaron said. I need some fresh air away from work.

I quickly replied, Sounds good. Are we racing?

Always.

Winner gets? I asked.

Same as always, Aaron sent with a winky face attached to the end.

I grinned like an idiot before putting my phone back in my pocket.

"Any questions?" My professor asked as he concluded his lecture. Professor Miller—probably my favorite professor ever—finally dismissed the classroom. I was packing my bags when suddenly he said, "Miss Finch. A word please?"

All the other students hustled out as I stayed back. I wasn't going to lie, I was quite the kiss up to our professor. Other than teaching all of his students about architecture, he's a full-time dad. Whenever my classmates and I would stay for study sessions in his office, we noticed how many family pictures line the room. And occasionally his son would get out of school early which meant he would sit in the corner as his father lectured us. At the end of one lesson, we all started asking Miller's son questions and the poor middle-schooler started blushing. In my head, Professor Miller is the exact same person as Ted Mosby. But that just may be the obsession over How I Met Your Mother speaking.

"Yes sir?" I asked as I walked towards his desk.

He pulled out a magazine from his briefcase, handing it to me. Crossing his arms over his chest he directed, "Page thirteen."

I frowned and flipped through until my hand rested on the pages Miller had indicated. "Oh my God," I said as a smile spread onto my lips. It was an article about Cole Parris' new building here in Miami. It took up a few pages that were filled with pictures of the gala he had. The one picture I appeared in, Aaron was also in it. Except, his head was leaning down slightly so that camera only caught onto his half grin. A part of me thought he may have done it on purpose, but it looked so natural I couldn't tell.

Miller had highlighted the bottom of the page where he had circled my name. "'Parker Finch is the leading architect of this project,'" Miller read the article. It went off to talk about how the actual architect is one of my co-workers because I haven't completed my education. "'Looks like Cole Parris once again chooses the underdog.'"

I smirked, "I guess I'm an underdog."

"You're young," Miller said taking the magazine from my hand. He raised his eyebrow at me, "Why haven't I heard of that one of my students is already becoming some profoundly known architect?"

"Because I'm not popular," I answered easily.

He laughed and shook his head, "Well...I hope this is further motivation for you to stay in my class."

I smiled, "I'm not going anywhere professor."

***************

"I was thinking," Kellie said as we finished eating the bowl strawberries. We were sitting outside in one of the many beautiful areas around campus. After having a study session over one of our basic classes, we got off topic and started discussing Spring Break. "Jackson has a beach house he says we could all go to."

"My brother and best friend from Michigan might be coming down."

"They can probably stay too," Kellie shrugged. "I've been to the beach house. It's huge."