Chapter 5--Daisy's Insides Are A Tetris Puzzle

Everyday seemed to blend together.

After Kellie invited me to stay with her, I became a lot more involved on campus. Pierce and I joined a few clubs that ran at the same times. It allowed us to still carpool. But other times, I would have to drive in Daisy to get to school. It's not that I hate Daisy, I actually love my car. But after being in Pierce's car for a long time, Daisy started to really annoy me. Between her odd smells and noises, I was scared she was going to break down.

Kellie and I became friends pretty quickly. She seemed to be lacking in friends as much as I was. She told me that typically, sophomores already live off campus. But she couldn't afford to so she's still staying at the dorms. It created a huge gap between her friends from last year. The only one that stuck around was Jackson. Even though I live off campus too, I tried making it priority to be with Kellie. I was thankful to have her around and I could tell she was really touched with me trying to hang out with her.

I also situated myself great with Victoria at the hair salon. She said she would teach me Spanish but I had this odd sense that I was learning a lot more slang than actual terms. I'd come home and ask Pierce what certain words would mean and he would simply laugh at me. Victoria and I were somewhat opposites. She was loud and Latin. I'm quiet and white. But we fit fine and it was interesting watching her go on her Spanish rants.

School was becoming more interesting. I was finally taking classes that had to do with my profession. Freshman year seemed like a repeat of my senior year in high school, so it was a complete bummer. Now, I was signing up for a project that would be monitored by my architecture professor. The best thing about being in a dying field is that the classes tended to be smaller. I was interacting a lot with my classmates and professors. Most of them already knew me by my first name. It was never like that in Michigan.

With my architecture classes I would sometimes stay late to study with classmates. Some of them were as passionate as me, people who truly want to do architecture. The rest were simply minoring because their major is engineering and they thought it would get them farther. Other times, I stayed at the library waiting for Pierce to get out of his own study sessions. And if I had time, I would hang out with Kellie and Jackson. They were really entertaining and it was refreshing talking to people that have totally different classes than myself.

Basically, I felt like I could finally call Miami home. After the first rough couple of weeks where my mom would still call to see if I was truly staying in Miami, it became routine. I can't even imagine living anywhere else. A small part of me was still thinking of my friends up north. What they're doing and what traditions they would be completing now. Then I would look around my campus and realize I wouldn't want to be back in Michigan. No way.

Sure, my best friends and acquaintances from high school would text me every few days to see how I was doing. My best friend—who was also my roommate last year—really missed me and a small part of me missed her too. But the best part of moving to Miami was my ability to start over. I needed a reset button in my life and this was it. I just wished I had pushed it a year or two ago.

"Are you doing alright?" Mom asked over the phone.

I was headed towards my car because I had work today. I didn't have any classes and I didn't have a chance to tell Pierce. He was out the door before I could say anything. "Yeah I'm doing great," I answered my mom as I took my car keys out of my pocket. "Hey, could you ask dad to transfer a few bucks into my account?"

Mom sighed. I tried hard not to depend on them, but that didn't stop the fact that a few couple dollars into my bank account wouldn't hurt. "Yes honey," She said. "I'll tell him when he comes home."