Chapter 35--A "Brief" History Lesson

In order to understand the life of the Aaron and Pierce Mosdenea, you have to understand their past. Their story begins from before they were even born.

Malcolm "Manny" Osme Dean got his nickname from of the musical he performed in high school. He was a deity in the eyes of the entire drama department. His acting skills were phenomenal and although he couldn't sing like Whitney Houston, his voice wasn't at all bad. Manny was the first freshman to ever land a major role in their spring musical. Every year after that, he always had lead role. Whether in a musical or play.

Junior year of high school, Malcolm met Sarah. Sarah Mitter was your average girl. She was pretty, well-known, and an absolute sweetheart. Malcolm saw her for the first time when he was performing the lead in the fall one act play. Sarah belonged to the school newspaper and was sitting front row—scribbling down her thought process as she watched the play. After it finished, Malcolm ran off stage catching up with Sarah.

He was breathless—a combination of his running and Sarah's beauty seemed to take all the air out of him. At first, Sarah was startled. Then she started to giggle softly as Manny simply stared at her. "Can I help you?" She asked him.

"Why haven't I seen you before?" Malcolm asked, his confidence suddenly taking a hold of him. "You're beautiful."

"You're only friends with the people in the drama department," Sarah answered with a smile. "Try finding me in journalism."

Sarah walked off, leaving Malcolm star struck. He had never felt the way he did just now. Watching her walk away but longing to be with her. Sarah was never known as an attention-stopper or someone who instantly turned heads. But she caught Manny's attention and he wasn't about to let her go. The next few weeks, Malcolm would always go to the journalism room where he would wait patiently for Sarah.

The two started dating a few months later. They went to junior prom together. Sat with each other in the cafeteria every day. Most weekends were spent at Manny's auditions and rehearsals. Whenever Sarah had to write an article over a sports event, they would go together. Eventually, the school believed they were the 'it' couple.

There was a downside however, Sarah's family. Sarah was a modest person. She didn't at all resemble her older brother who like bragging about his family's money as a mother brags about her child. But Sarah never mentioned it. She liked being known for her hand-me-down clothes and her ridiculous sense of fashion. But her family—especially Phillip—didn't want her to end up with a dreamer.

That's what everyone thought of Malcolm: A dreamer. He wanted to become famous. Hollywood was his ultimate goal. Senior year, he was voted "Most Likely To Be Famous." No one actually thought he would walk the red carpet, they just knew he landed lead roles in every play and musical the school had ever produced. When Malcolm decided not to go to college, Sarah's family and his own were suddenly infuriated with him.

They told him he wouldn't make it. They said that college was something to fall back on. Manny argued that a lot of his friends weren't going to a university. They were working at shops and helping their family's diners. Malcolm didn't have a shop or diner his father owned. In fact, he had nothing.

Manny's mother died giving childbirth to him. He was the first-born child, which meant he was alone without any siblings. Although he never said it out loud, the idea of killing his mother was always something that haunted him at night. After his mom's death, Malcolm's father became a workaholic and alcoholic. If he wasn't working, he was drinking.

When Malcolm told his dad he wasn't going to go to college, he was cut off entirely. The two didn't speak for years to come. And when they finally did, it was because Mr. Dean would be dying in the hospital. Even then, Malcolm would resent his father.