Chapter 34--Episode V: The Mosdenea's Strike Back

The beach house Aaron and Pierce rented out was perfect. It had direct beach access, was walking distance to the main town, but far enough that we wouldn't have drunk college students streaking in our backyard. Yes—as we drove in we saw that happen. It was actually kind of funny, but not something I'd want to have nearby.

James and Ashley didn't care where we were going. They had spent the last three days in the heart of Miami having the best time of their lives. The night they flew in, we took them to see the skyline at night from the Key Biscayne bridge. James couldn't believe that Aaron had bought me a motorcycle, but he promised not to let our parents know. If my mother found out she would probably send me videos of motorcycle accidents.

We went to the beach—where my brother also discovered I had a tattoo—another thing he was going to leave out at family dinners. James spent the whole day at the beach, even after I told him we could come back the next day. He ignored me and didn't return home until the sun was basically setting. After washing up, Ashley declared her interest in going to a club. Pierce and I took her to South Beach while Aaron and James caught up to us.

When I had the chance, I decided to give James and Ashley a tour of my university's campus. After walking around for a few minutes, I could see the longing looks on their faces. Ashley muttered how much she wanted to transfer as well. James just shook his head and kept cursing about how cold Michigan is.

It wasn't exactly Spring Break for Pierce and me because the University breaks didn't sync together. Which is why we couldn't leave for the beach house until we all finished our classes. Aaron took one day off of work while Pierce and I were in class. During that day he decided to show James and Ashley around Key Biscayne. The whole morning, my phone blew up with texts and pictures of everything they were doing. Apparently, they bought a coconut and name it Koko Kasa. My brother and best friend suddenly loved Aaron. Especially after he bought them Cuban food.

"Shit Park," James said placing some doggie bags into the fridge. He was slightly sunburnt on his shoulders and cheeks. "I know you said Cuban food was good, but I didn't expect it to be this good."

"This beats Subway any day," Ashley munched on a Cuban sandwich and downed it with a shot of Cuban coffee. Both of them smelled like saltwater and they kept sprinkling sand through the apartment.

The morning we left for the beach house meant we all had to cram into the cars. Pierce decided to bring his BMW. He and Victoria rode gingerly in the sports car while Jackson borrowed his friend's minivan. All our beach supplies and bags fit in the van, except a few seats were taken in the process. Jackson drove the car with Kellie riding in shotgun. James and Ashley fit in the back while I was stuck in the caboose with all the bags. Our drive to the beach house was composed of Aaron driving circles around the two cars with his motorcycle.

I should have just rode with him, I thought to myself as Jackson took a hard turn causing one of the suitcases to harshly land in my lap.

"So you two aren't together right?" Kellie asked my brother and Ashley.

As if on cue, they both gagged. "No," They said together. Ashley and James get the question often when we're all together. Many people ask them how long they have been dating. I think it's mainly because they look nothing alike but they resemble best friends.

At one point in high school, Ashley admitted to having a crush on James. It didn't become anything serious—especially because at the time James had a girlfriend. But she eventually fell out of the concept. James always viewed Ashley as a little sister.