Chapter 19--What's The Big Deal With Having A Papi

Those cliché stories of girls that are on cloud-nine? The idea of having a daisy and pulling the petals off while contemplating whether he likes me or he likes me not? Even the hardcore romance Romeo and Juliet felt in a span of three days? Yeah, that's basically how I felt. All the time. People couldn't get me to listen to a conversation or the TV because I was too busy floating up in space like I belonged to an alien planet.

After New Year's, I fell back in my usual routine. The problem was, Aaron did too. He and I hadn't had much time together ever since. And if we were together it was only at dinner when we were sitting around with Pierce. The last thing we all wanted was for Pierce to become the ultimate third wheel. Basically, he already was.

Whenever I woke up in the mornings, I would ask Pierce where Aaron was. Typically, the answer would be a 'no idea' or 'I don't know.' But lately Pierce keeps saying Aaron is out trying to deal with some of the skyscraper business and other things. I didn't want to bother Aaron, especially knowing he was busy with his job. However, I would be lying if I didn't admit that I missed him.

So I fell back into what I typically did. Mainly work to earn up more money for the semester. My bank account had taken a plummet over the break. Between Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and Christmas—I was going to need a lot of shifts to make up what I had spent.

"Parker," Victoria called out. She threw a balled-up piece of paper at me. "You're doing it again."

I had completely zoned out once again. I was at the salon. Working. Waiting for clients was getting boring. Especially because the next reservation wasn't until about an hour. So I was stuck waiting for walk-ins and hoping that one of the ladies would finish soon so that I could clean after them. "Doing what?" I asked innocently.

Victoria rolled her eyes, "Dios mio. You had that smile on your face again. You looked like a stupida."

"Your pants are stupida," I retorted weakly. I didn't want to admit that I had been thinking of Aaron again.

I was trying really hard to get him out of my head but the lack of contact for the past few days was starting to kill me. I was never the girl to obsess over a guy. But everyone always ends up going through the first few stages of relationship sickness. The phase where everything is lovey-dovey and nothing seems to ever stand in the way of things. Nope, Aaron and I haven't had time to do anything and the distance was only making me frustrated.

"You were thinking of your novio," Victoria rolled her chair closer to mine. She placed her feet on my desk and started filing her nails casually.

"I don't have a novio," I said in a somewhat snarky matter. But then I started to think too much.

Wait, I thought to myself. Do I?

"Chica," Victoria said grabbing her phone quickly to send a text before getting back to her nails. "I know that look. That's the look a girl has when she's talking to someone she likes."

I couldn't deny it but Victoria was texting on her phone with the same giddy smile on her face. Her phone kept pinging with a newly received message. Victoria would put the file down, read the message, giggle, answer, then pick the file back up. This happened a solid three times before I pointed at her with one of the lollipops and accused her, "You have the same face. Who are you talking to? Jackson?"

"No it's my boyfriend Carlos," Victoria said. The moment she said it she looked up at me with wide eyes. My eyes widened too. For the last couple of weeks whenever I would text Jackson or Kellie either one of them would be talking about Victoria. Jackson saying how happy he is in his relationship and Kellie lying by saying she was happy for them.