Chapter 20--Third Wheeling Is Actually An Important Job

All of my friends and classmates were starting to freak out. A part of me wanted to freak out too but I didn't have to. We were all going to declare our majors soon. It's kind of funny actually. The way the school goes about it is by emailing you to go talk to your admissions counselor. You set up an appointment and meet with them. Then, they confirm what classes you should take and what you want to do with the rest of your life.

Some people go in prepared. Giddy. Happy. Others look glum and nervous. Every time we saw someone get an email it was like a sci-fi horror movie. Or like the Hunger Games. We were all being called up to be evaluated and tested on what we wanted to do. Maybe it's not survival of the fittest, but it does seem like something that would be in a movie or book. Like I said, I thought it was funny.

Pierce and I were still waiting. They counselors had to deal with a lot of students—especially those that don't know what they want to do with their lives. But I knew what I wanted to do. So did Pierce. He was heading straight for a major in linguistics and international politics with a minor finance. I was going to stick to my own plan. Major in architecture and business. Maybe I could learn a thing or two from Aaron. My minor though...I wasn't too sure about it. I was thinking art and design to help me with my buildings and structures. But physics would also be handy—the difference is I love art a lot more than I love physics.

I was studying next to the center fountain on campus when I saw Jackson in the distance. I quickly packed my bag and started sprinting towards him across the courtyard. "Jackson!" I called trying to catch his attention. Students moved to the sides as I pushed myself through like a rock against a river. Jackson didn't hear me so I called his name out again.

He finally turned around. When he saw me making my way to him he smiled, "Hey Parker."

I reached him and was thankful he had stopped. I put my hands on my knees and started breathing hard. "Man," I said completely out of breath. "I need to work out or something."

Jackson chuckled and we started walking towards his class. "You know that the gym is over that way, right?" He said pointing in the direction our ginormous gym. He even added, "It's free to students."

"Yeah well," I caught my breath. "I'll just stick to eating apples."

"You're lucky you have good legs." He laughed. I hadn't seen him over the break. He had given himself a haircut. His afro not nearly as puffy. He was wearing his Hawks basketball shirt like he was representing Atlanta.

I was dying to ask over the situation between him and Victoria. But I settled with, "How was your break?"

"Eh," He shrugged. "It was cold."

I scoffed which caused him to look at me with a laugh. "Yeah I'm sure Atlanta is just freezing compared to Michigan."

"For my blood it is," Jackson defended. "You don't know what I go through."

"You don't know my life." I said just below a shout. Jackson and I would do this all the time. Especially when we were texting each other. Or in the group chat. Kellie, Victoria, and Pierce would get so annoyed when we would go off on tangents.

"It's because I'm black isn't it?" Jackson used one of his most popular lines. This guy—I mean—this guy would say that whenever he well pleased. It was like me when I say, Your pants.

"How dare you assume my gender," I put my hand to my chest. We both busted into laughter. I had to admit, I had some pretty great times with Jackson. I missed the way he talked about basketball and his ever-growing wisdom. I mean, most of his wisdom consisted on how to dunk a ball in a net, but there was other stuff in his head too.