Chapter 29--Sharks Don't Bark, They Bite

"I'm not sure yet," I answered my mother as she spoke to me on the other end of the phone. This was probably the first time in a while since I called to check up on life back in Michigan.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't fearful. Finding a gun in Aaron's room really did shake me up. Granted, it's not the first time I've ever seen or held one before. When I was younger my father took my brothers and I on a field trip to a shooting range. He wanted us to know what it's like to hold, reload, and shoot a gun. But that was years ago, when I was in high school. I think my shock was just finding that Aaron has a gun he never showed or told me about.

"Well honey," My mom said, "Let your brother know as soon as you can because prices are rising."

James and Ashley want to come visit for spring break. There was still a lot of time before they would come but my mom was right. Plane tickets were slowly increasing in price—especially for break. "Ok," I said to my mom quickly as I unlocked my apartment door. "I'll let them know soon."

The likelihood of them coming was very high. I wanted them to visit and see what it's like all the way here in Florida. The only time Ashley was in the state was to go to Disney. Whereas James has never been to Florida. The closest he was ever at the beach was when he and his best friends went to Texas for a week vacation.

"Alright Park," My mother sighed. "I'll let you go. I've got girls night anyways."

I hesitated for the second, keeping my hand on the handle of my apartment door without pushing it open. Biting my lip I said, "Mom..."

"Yes, baby girl?" Was her immediate answer.

"If I uh..." I hesitated unsure what to say. My voice automatically spoke softer, afraid that someone else might hear. "If I need to head back up to Michigan you won't be overbearing, would you?"

I could picture her perking up. I hope she couldn't hear the distress in my voice. I felt anxious and somewhat ignorant. For once I wasn't sure what to do. Instead of my mother suddenly squealing with joy she softly asked, "If everything alright Parker?"

"Yeah," I answered rather too quickly. "Everything is fine. I was just wondering for the summer. If I'm unable to afford going anywhere and what not."

Lie.

The tone in my mom's voice lightened as she said, "Well then I'll make sure not to nag you to hell."

I let out a small laugh, "Ok...Thanks I guess."

She hung up after we said our goodbyes. I took a deep breath and entered the apartment with somewhat renewed strength. I was tired—actually more like exhausted. I spent a long shift at work after having my usual classes. Luckily, I didn't have any exams soon but I planned to spend the night in my room studying. Usually when I study, Aaron will work beside me. Instead of distracting each other we would keep in contact—whether that be us getting comfortable on a sofa and bed or my sitting close enough to him as we both work. Lately, he had been working harder and I had been studying more.

When I walked through the door I glanced around only to see that no one was home. I set my things down, grabbing an apple as I took my seat in the camping chair on the balcony. The sun was setting in the distance and for a moment I simply enjoyed the view and silence. It's really hard getting alone time when you have two roommates.

Setting to work I started to vigorously type on my laptop. I lost track of time but when I heard the door finally open and close, it was far after dark. "Marco," Aaron called into our home.

"Polo," I answered back as I stood up. I stretched quickly just as Aaron walked through the glass doors.

He looked at me up and down as an amused grin spread on his face, "Hey Birdie."