Chapter 8--A Blackhole is Actually a Dead Star

The winds picked up and it started raining all the time. I didn't know being in a hurricane would be like being in a snowstorm. Except, instead of a bombardment of snow it's a bombardment of water. Every time I would have to run through campus, it was like little pricks of needles was hitting my skin.

I pulled my rain jacket closer to me as I ran across campus towards Kellie's dorm. The rain was coming down hard and I couldn't use an umbrella because of the wind. I could get into the lobby of the dorm building by swiping my student card, but I couldn't get to Kellie's floor. So I texted her to come to the lobby.

"Hey," Kellie called when she walked out of the elevator. I had been sitting on one of the lounge chairs when I looked up from my phone and saw her.

I smiled standing up and heading towards her, "What's up?"

Kellie rolled her eyes, "We're setting up for the hurricane. Everyone is freaking out."

"So just like me?" I said causing Kellie to laugh.

According to the forecast, the hurricane will last about three days. We still have a few hours to get to safety but most roads are blocked now. Leaving the state would be impossible. The time to evacuate was over. Anyone who was left basically has to bunker down. My mom had already called me a billion times to make sure I was ok. She's worried that a car is going to fly towards me and kill me like in the movies.

By the time Kellie and I reached her floor, I realized why she had been rolling her eyes. Everyone was hysterical. All the girls were running around the floor. Some had grocery bags and other girls simply looked like they were in shock. Then there was the set of girls like Kellie who were watching the chaos and laughing.

Kellie still hadn't managed to move out of her dorm with her roommate. Because of the hurricane, everyone was required to stay in their assigned dorms for the next few days. Later tonight the RA's were going to go into lockdown and wait out the hurricane. Of course, classes have been cancelled the whole week.

When I walked into Kellie's dorm, I instantly got the stink eye from her roommate. She climbed off the top bunk and muttered she was going to see her boyfriend before the lock down.

"Good riddance," Kellie scoffed after her roommate walked out the door.

I looked around the room realizing it's clean for once. Usually, it's a mess of clothes and food wrappers. Just by looking around I put all the pieces together, the RA was probably going to have a room inspection now that they have to go into lock down. Which is probably why Kellie and her roommate cleaned up.

The other thing I noticed while looking around the room was the darkness. I learned the day before that my apartment has shutters for the windows and balcony sliding glass doors. Just like this dorm has shutters for the small window. The shutters were already pulled down meaning absolutely no light passed through. The only light that illuminated the room was coming from a lamp in the corner and Kellie's laptop. It ended up making everything look very dark and gloomy.

"So you ready for your first hurricane?" Kellie asked sitting on the small couch under her bunk.

"No." I answered truthfully. There was no point in lying. I was definitely scared.

Pierce and I went shopping for food and water the day before. The local stores were quickly running out of materials. Bread and water seemed to be the ones that were getting targeted more than anything else. Anything packaged or in a can also seemed to fly off the shelves.

I put my raincoat on the hook at Kellie's door and started rustling through my backpack. "Here," I said handing Kellie my notes. She had been sick a few days ago—catching a cold from all the rain that had been falling down—and I promised her I would bring her everything she missed.