Chapter 6--The Story of the Two Dolphins

"I love food yet I can't seem to love this food." Kellie complained.

Jackson scoffed, "Tell me about it."

"I'm too poor to afford anything better." I added as the two looked over their fried chicken. I sucked it up and started eating. Nothing could ever be as bad as the food my brothers tried making for my mom's birthday. They failed miserably. And I will never understand how they made pasta crunchy and sticky at the same time.

"We need a better meal plan." Kellie scrunched her face up like she was smelling something bad.

"Or just more money so I can eat at the other places on campus." Jackson chuckled. "School debt sucks."

"Tell me about it," I took a bite of my chicken. I guess if I chew fast enough, I won't have to taste it.

We ate in peace for a few seconds before Jackson put his food down, looking up at Kellie and I. "I was thinking we could all go see the new Malcolm Dean movie." He said grinning.

I almost stopped breathing on the spot. I had been waiting for the new Manny Dean movie to come out ever since I saw the trailer months ago. I know it's not healthy to fathom over people I will probably never meet in my life, but at least I can stalk his career without him knowing.

"Yes!" I yelled loudly even though I hadn't meant to. A few students who were sitting in the cafeteria with us looked over at me with raised eyebrows. "Sorry," I spoke softer and tried to play off how much I desperately wanted to see this movie. "Sure. Sure, we can go. Psh, Manny Dean is ok."

Kellie and Jackson laughed at me. Kellie put her floppy taco down, "Fangirl much?"

"Are you going to be this excited for the new Shawn Parris movie too?" Jackson asked.

I shook my head. Even though I read the book, I heard Shawn Parris turned down Manny Dean—who wanted the main role.

Don't get me wrong, Shawn Parris is amazing. After everything he had to go through with his cancer, I had nothing but respect for him. I especially love the way he treats his finance Emily. Their wedding is supposed to be in a few months. But celebrity wise, within the Parris brothers, Cole Parris was by far my favorite. I love Blake Parris too—the notorious soccer player who has two adorable little kids. But Cole Parris fell under a different flag of fame. He worked ridiculously hard in Harvard to be the lawyer he is now. Between graduating early, finishing law school, and then going to the supreme court—the fact he's always worked hard makes him—in my eyes—an amazing role model.

Then there's Manny Dean...whenever I hear new news about a movie that Manny Dean is in, I just can't help but start squealing and flapping my arms around like a circus seal.

"I just want to see if the movie follows the book." I answered, "But the movie this weekend with Manny Dean? I'll go watch it five times."

"You don't even know if it's good." Kellie added skeptically.

"Doesn't matter," I answered. "Any movie with Manny Dean is my kind of movie."

Jackson chuckled, "Sounds good to me."

We started talking about our favorite Manny Dean movies. And then movies in general. Jackson and I were in the midst of shaming Kellie about never having seen Breakfast Club, when Pierce sat next to me.

"What's up my amigos?" Pierce said opening his usual protein bar.

The moment Pierce sat down, Kellie automatically sat up straight. She tried getting her uncontrollable curls under control which failed miserably. She gave up on her hair and moved to her shirt trying to get crumbs off of it. While she did everything to try and make herself look cuter, I glanced over at Jackson. He noticed—it was quite obvious anyways—but he noticed the instant movement from Kellie. He looked down at his food pushing a strawberry to the edge of his plate with a fork.