Chapter 15--Good Thing Arrows Aren't Bent

Exam week truly was hell.

I mean sure, the exams themselves weren't so bad. It's just the constant thought of failing that stresses everyone out. Not to mention, people like Kellie that have to maintain their scholarships, stress out even more. Campus was a lot more fun in the sense that the school provides us with just about everything we need.

Outside the library was a massaging station where people would line up and get a free massage. On the courtyard, there was a new fence with about twenty puppies inside. You could play around with them and hug them. I saw a few students cry into them from their stress. Hammocks sprung around all campus. Starbucks was opened twenty-four hours. And about five different vending machines were installed for the week—they were filled with Red Bull and Monster. Overall, if exams weren't in the back of our minds, we would have been able to enjoy the week better.

Jackson was lucky, he finished his exams the third day they were taking place. When he was done, he headed out to see his family for Christmas. His parents live in Atlanta, which meant instead of flying he was driving up. He stopped by to tell us all goodbye and to have a Merry Christmas. Kellie was disappointed, but she covered it up by telling Jackson she would have his Christmas gift when he'd return.

Kellie finished about the same time I did, but she didn't go home just yet. Her parents had planned a family trip before Christmas. Which meant they were all going to come down to Miami to spend time at the Keys. After their vacation, they would go upstate where they would stay home. Being in-state made the whole traveling ordeal a lot easier on her.

I finished my exams by the end of the week. Once I took the last one, I decided to take a long nap on one of the hammocks. By the time I woke up, it was dark and Pierce was wondering where I had gone. Pierce was the one we had to wait for. His exam was one of the last ones. Because he's taking so many languages, he had to space them along the time frame. It really sucked.

The good thing was, after I was done with my exams it meant I spent the next three days sleeping in. Neither Pierce nor Aaron saw me unless I was in zombie mode.

I had already called my mom, telling her that I was bringing my roommate and 'friend' home. I texted Ashley, who was ecstatic to meet Pierce and Aaron. She was apparently bringing her guy home too. The nerdy one that I have yet to meet. After I arranged my plans with my mother—who like me still couldn't believe my tickets were paid for—I decided to start packing.

Over the last couple weeks I had been saving up to buy my family and friends their Christmas presents. Kellie, Jackson, Victoria, and I all agreed to give each other our gifts when we all return. It gives us extra time and due to exams—we hadn't really had a spare minute to get all together. I got Kellie some of her favorite novels—one signed by Shawn Parris. For Jackson, Kellie and I joined our wallets to buy him a new Miami Heat basketball shirt. Pierce bought him the Atlanta Hawks one.

However, for Aaron, Pierce, and my family, I had to pack their gifts into a suitcase. I hated having to pack a suitcase but there was no way I would be able to take everything in a backpack. I knew for a fact that my family was going to love their gifts, I was really worried about Pierce and Aaron though. What do you get two guys that have everything? How do I buy a gift that they can't already afford?

Pierce was a bit easier because almost everything makes him happy. He's the kind of guy that likes the thought more than the actual gift. But with Aaron I had no idea what to buy. So I tried my best and went with my gut.

The day we were leaving was the day Aaron and I decided to pack. Pierce was taking his last exam in the morning which meant the moment he arrives home, we would be on our way to the airport. Aaron kept asking me what to bring. He packed a suit in case he needed one—although I told him he wouldn't. And then he struggled to find clothes for Michigan.