Chapter 1 - Marcus Pierce

CHAPTER 1
MARCUS PIERCE

"Marcus, what you're about to do is risky," Cloud says to me, using his Alpha tone to make me submit to him just like anyone else. His voice has become deeper, darker, and more commanding. But I'm a Guardian of the Werewolves – that means my wolf is part Alpha as well. I'm different than the other werewolves – if there Alpha uses his Alpha tone just to silence everyone, they will do so immediately, without any hesitation whereas I'm going to do the opposite.

After telling him my mate and everything, he has become persistent to let me know that what I'm going to do will blow up in my face sooner or later, eventually. I have told him that I have already faked my documents just to enter the Northern High School, so I can personally guide and protect my mate. My human mate. After telling Cloud that my mate is human, he felt – feels – sympathy to me – Great Alpha, my best friend, knows that having a human mate is forbidden. It has been forbidden ever since the last werewolf had a human. Those two lovers turned on the werewolf kind, told the humans about it, thus why the Hunters – humans who are aware of werewolves, who have a goal of killing each one of us – exist.

Our kind was hunted, killed, and gutted. It's in our history book – kids, or pups, as they grow up, are being lectured of it. They are required to know the truth, the horrible past, so they will know better in the future. As for them, humans can't be trusted, but I don't believe in that shit. Dave – Great Beta Perry's mate – was once human, but later turned into a werewolf. For whatever reason, we still don't know. It was a miracle. When first Dave got here, not knowing who we really were, after we saved Great Alpha Cloud's mate and brought him here as well as Dave, Dave was clueless about our kind – the werewolves had been kind on him because they know humans can be kind as well, but can't be trusted. But the werewolves knew of Kieran, Cloud's mate; Kieran was the one who broke the Forbidden Law, turned himself into a human, his wolf separated out of him (but he got his wolf back eventually after the war).

Of course the werewolves were more trusting because Dave was Kieran's brother. Well, step-brother. But I'm not really blaming Dave, Kieran, Perry, Cloud, or anyone. When I told Cloud about my mate just about an hour ago, he understood me – he understood that I needed my mate. While he's against the idea of me going into the human world, masking myself with a different personality, he's not against of me having a human mate. In fact, if everyone were to know that my mate is human, Good Goddess knows what I would do if they decide or think to harm him in some ways – they would ask the Great Alpha Cloud to force me to quit ties and reject my mate, or worse, have the Great Alpha kill him.

"There are several ways to protect him," my best friend says to me, looking at me in the eyes. Sometimes I wonder how I've been best friends with him for so long, since we were children. "You know that I'm going to help you, right? But this isn't right. What you're going to do, faking documents, faking your name, hiding your identity, it's all wrong. You're the Guardian of the Werewolves, you know that you have a role in here, in our world, but leaving us –"

"You know that I'm not exactly leaving you guys, right?" I cut him off, staring right back in his eyes. He sighs, shaking his head. "I know I'm putting everyone in danger by doing this, but it's the only way I can be near to my mate. I'm not going to abandon my duty as the Guardian of the Werewolves. It's what has been assigned to me by the Good Goddess. Being a Guardian of the Werewolves, it's... it's flattering and amazing... but if I can't have my mate, I feel like it's nothing, that I'm nothing. I've been filling Dave and Peitho (Peitho is Dave's wolf) up about being the Guardian of the Werewolves. Well, Peitho has more idea about it than Dave, considering that he's also a Guardian of the Werewolves, but he knows the traditional ways. I told him everything he needed to know. He needs to know more but Cloud, I'm dying here, or I feel like it, because the longer I'm not with my mate, or I'm not around my mate, it's killing me, and you know that feeling. You know that feeling."