Chapter 23 - Nigel Quintin Ulysses

Chapter 23
Nigel Quintin Ulysses

When I arrive at school, the first person I'm trying to find is my ex-girlfriend Julia. I search for her in the library, our favorite hiding place. She used to bring so much food there – even though librarians are very strict with the No Food and Drink policy, we always ate them together. But she's not in the library nor is she in the school's garden.

Her friends are there, though. I ask some of them, and they all say that they haven't seen Julia yet.

The reason why I just want to see here is... I want to know everything. Who was the guy she's involved with? And was she cheating on me before? I know deep in my heart that Julia wouldn't do that to me because she's not that cruel, but somehow, just thinking of those moments where we were together, it makes me think that what if the guy was already in the picture?

I want to know everything, even the smallest details. How did they meet? What is the guy's name? Is he from our school? Is he a college jock? We've broken up already, but knowing the truth will make me feel better. Julia is gone to me now. I... I know it's too early to say this, but I think my heart beats for someone better than her. Julia... she's not meant for me. But she will always have a place in my heart – of course she will. She was my first love, my first best friend, my princess. Letting go is hard, but seeing that she's not happy anymore with me is harder. I still want to be friends with her. We can let go of the past, forget what happened between us and try to save what is left. Our friendship and the memories we shared together.

Memories are hard to let go, too.

You can't just tell yourself "Okay, I'm going to forget everything that happened between us". It doesn't work that way. While some people want their exes memory fade, I don't. It's important to me. Julia has been part of me and my life, and forgetting it means that I'm okay to let go a piece of me. And no, it's not okay. I'm not okay with that. I still want Julia to be part of my life.

But how can I do when I can't find and talk to her?

It's like she has suddenly disappeared without any trace. No one knows where she is. I can't think of any place where she used to go because it's been only my house and hers. And Julia is not the one who ditches school. Unless... she's with her new guy right now. I can't help but feel irritated. I know I shouldn't judge early, but damn it, Julia skipped classes because of him.

Everyone knows that Julia and I have broken things up already. It's like it has been broadcasted and now every girl at school throws me a flirty wink and looks. The more I pay attention to them, the more I get irritated. The most irritating part, Marcus is also missing.

We went to school together and split up when we entered the school's premises. I told him I would just need to talk to Julia because questions inside my head were bothering me so much. At first he was silent, then he just nodded and walked away. He couldn't be possibly jealous, that's what I thought. And now, the more I think about it, the more I realize that maybe he thinks that I'm not over Julia and not ready to let her go.

So walking alone in the hallway with almost all the girls looking my way, throwing me looks that they think will be enough to let them into my pants. So I ignore them and just continue to walk, then I halt to a stop.

My brows furrow and my eyesight suddenly zoom in on them. Marcus and Blaine walking side by side. Marcus is sharing a smile with Blaine, and his arm is slung around Marcus' shoulder. They seem to be sharing a good story because every now and then, Marcus laughs and his eyes crinkle. There's a flare of jealousy in my heart and I just want to trudge there and rip Marcus off of Blaine, and head somewhere where we can be alone.

When my Marcus' eyes meet mine, he stops walking. Then Blaine's eyes, confused, switch from Marcus to me. He says something to Marcus that I really want to know and gives him a pat on the back. Marcus' eyes switch to the left, pointing to the location of where the school garden is. Without putting much thought about it, my feet begin to move on its own and I head straightly to the garden.

"Why are you with him?" I ask him as he approaches me. We're at the end of the garden, where most students don't go. This is the most boring and ugliest part of the garden, so I understand why they don't like it here. But that doesn't stop the students who like to have a quickie, if you know what I mean. They do that all the time. I'm just glad that they aren't here. "Seriously I thought we've already talked about you hanging out with Blaine."

"Come on, Nigel. He's a cool guy. Just give yourself a chance to get to know him..."

"Uh-uh, no." I reply stubbornly, crossing my arms across my chest and glaring daggers at Marcus. He gives out an exasperated sigh and shakes his head. "I told you, I don't want to associate myself with him."

"But why?"

"I don't know! I just don't want to," Marcus clicks his tongue and looks away. I notice his Adam's apple bobbing up and down as he swallows, and that's probably the sexiest thing I've seen yet. And then something awful dawns on me as I look at him. "Wait... are you... do you like..."

"God, no, don't finish that." He immediately walks up to me, cups my face and rests his forehead against mine. The tip of his nose is touching mine. His face is so close that I can see his eyes close up, how beautiful it is. "I don't like him. Well, I just like him as a friend, but... you have to understand that my heart just belongs to you."

His words strike me in the heart and I feel my knees buckling. I just want to collapse and feel his arms around me. His eyes are watery, and I see the real panic in his eyes. And I wonder if I really messed things up now. I lost Julia – I don't want to lose someone special to me anymore. Even though I just met him and I just know a few things about him, I know that he's special to me. So special that I'm scared of losing him.

Is that even freaking possible?

I mean, come to think of it, I just met a guy, who made me question my sexuality in just about few days by hanging out with the one I really hate, which resulted me inviting him to my house to come live with me, and after that I made an agreement with him for him not to hang out with Blaine. That's pretty fucked up, right? Does it seem like I'm obsessed?

"I'm sorry," I say as I grip his wrists softly and give him a smile. "I just... I remember telling you about Julia and I assumed that... maybe you decided to..."

"No, no, that won't happen," Marcus says, planting a kiss on my forehead. I blush and my eyes do a quick scan around our area. "You've been with her for a long time, almost every day. I can't blame you for looking for her. That's fine with me. But you gotta trust me, Nigel. I trust you and I want you to trust Blaine."

Pursing my lips, I rack my brain to try to come up with a better reason to not hang out with Blaine but I can't find anything. Maybe because judgements clouded my head and that made me decide not to trust him. I don't really know much anything about Blaine. Everyone just picks on him and ignores him like he's some sort of a ghost.

When I can't find a reason, I just nod my head and Marcus hugs me, planting another kiss on my forehead.

"He knows about us, though," Marcus blurts out and I look up at him with furrowed brows. "He knows about me and you because I told him. And don't worry, he has his mouth shut. You know, I didn't really trust him in the first place. But he was nice enough to offer me his house and I realize, there are only a few people who would let a stranger in need in his or her house. Just like you did to me."

"Cut it out," I say as I blush. My face is becoming really a tomato. He lets out a chuckle. "Okay, alright, alright. I'll give Blaine a chance, but you've got to... you know, you guys need to set some boundaries."

"Really jealous of him, huh?"

"Stop it,"

I roll my eyes and Marcus just surprises me as he steals a kiss, planting his lips on mine and I stare at him with wide eyes.

As I'm about to hit him, a sweaty Blaine appears. His eyes are wide and there's a look of panic in his face. When Marcus' eyes meet his, they both share a look and something dawns on Marcus.

"They are here, Marcus," is what Blaine says when something – a window glass – shatters. And then there are screams and there are a lot of people shouting. Marcus grabs my hand and basically forces me to move.