Chapter 42 - Marcus Pierce

Chapter 42
Marcus Pierce

As soon as I hear the words "rogues" and "hunters", my first instinct is to keep my mate safe and tucked in this bed we're lying in. But the moment my eyes meet his, I know that I'm thinking the wrong thing. Despite the want to protect and save him from every possible harm, I can't just tell him to stay here while he waits for me to come back like a spoiled wife. Nigel is not my wife. He's my mate. He's special. He can fight with me. I cup his cheeks, planting a gentle kiss on his lips and he shuts his eyes for a moment, his hand resting on my nape and kissing me just as passionate.

Both pulling away breathless, I rest my forehead against his and smile at him. Meanwhile, outside, I'm already hearing the fight between the pack and the werewolves and rogues. I hold his hand and give him a nod, and we both stand up from the bed and run as fast as we can to the battle happening outside. The other Lunas are helping the people to go to the safe place while my mate's eyes glow blue, probably sensing if there's an enemy hiding in plain sight. Nigel looks at me and shakes his head and I sigh in relief. I unlatch my fingers from his and tweak his nose, and my mate gives me a hopeful smile. My heart swells from the sight.

Kyros, you ready, buddy?

My wolf growls in response before I take off and let my wolf takes over. Kyros' senses immediately flood me. He growls, eyes pinning every rogues in sight and hunters hiding behind the trees. I see Isaiah, Cloud's werewolf, running towards the forest, his paws pounding the hard ground. He goes for the rogues in plain sight, shooting arrows made of silver towards his direction, but Cloud swiftly dodges it. But the aims of the hunters are almost perfect. If they're shooting at just a regular werewolf, they'd have seventy percent chance of hitting them. Hunters are skilled like that. But this is Cloud. This is Isaiah. They are the Great Alpha, and they are stronger. It would take a massive amount of silver to kill Cloud, and that won't happen tonight.

Kyros runs freely across the field, heading straight to where the hunters are hiding. A series of arrows fly in my direction, and Kyros dodges it, but there's one arrow that grazes past his fur, earning a hiss. His eyes squint, detecting and sensing the culprit. When his eyes lay on this one hunter, whose hair is blonde and disheveled, his black belt hanging lowly on his waist, a quilt full of arrows attached on his back, and a bow in his hand, Kyros runs like a lightning bolt, catching the human off guard. The hunter tries to launch another attack, but Kyros' paws slit across his the hunter's neck, killing him immediately.

An arrow hits the ground just beside where his paw is, and Kyros switches his gaze from the dead hunter to the culprit. The hunter is smirking, his bow aimed at Kyros. There are three arrows pointed at him, and if Kyros attempts to even move a single muscle, those arrows will fly and hit him. Kyros and the hunter just stare at each other. As the hunter is about to shoot Kyros, a white wolf that has a blazing blue trail knocks him to the ground. Maximus. Kyros runs and slashes him in the chest, earning a scream from him. Another slash, and the hunter is head.

Maximus happily trudges towards Kyros and lets out a small purr, rubbing his head on Kyros' neck. Kyros returns the gesture, licking his face and their eyes see a struggling Nigel, who's fending the other rogues on his own, shooting bolts of white from his hands. Both werewolves run towards him, and I feel the panic rising in me and my wolf. We help Nigel defeat the rogues surrounding him. One has his neck snapped, the other one gutted in the stomach, and third one is beheaded.

My eyes catch Blaine, my best friend who I haven't seen for so long. His eyes are red, and his fingers are claws, indicating that he's in his semi-wolf form. I understand though. If he were to switch, they may target him as an enemy, not knowing that he's a friend of the pack. Accompanying him is a demon who is bringing one rogue high up in the air and letting him fall freely. His mate.