Chapter 27 - Nigel Quintin Ulysses

Chapter 27
Nigel Quintin Ulysses

They are still following me, the people from Marcus' place. They keep their distance but I feel them following me, their eyes lingering on me. There's this urge to go back to where I left Marcus, to give him a comfort. I wish I could do that, but the werewolves come to life inside my head, and they are vicious, snarky, cunning, and deadly. The fear is strong, and no matter what I tell myself that Marcus is a good person (or a fucking werewolf for that matter), I just can't change my mind about it.

Marcus has taken care of me and did everything he could to make me happy. In return, I hurt him. I denied his love. I denied to be in love with him. Images of smiling Marcus plays in my head and it hurts. Tears begin again to stream down my face, and I can't do anything to stop them. My heart feels like it's going to explode because of the fucking pain I'm experiencing. I just want to curl down, let myself cry until it doesn't hurt anymore, until I forget everything because honestly, this is just too much for me. I didn't ask for this to happen. I didn't ask to meet someone like Marcus yet here we are, in this mess.

When I reach my home, as usual, there's no one inside. Even as I near my house, I feel the emptiness and hollowness, just like my heart. I get inside and find everything the way I left them before Marcus and I went to the school. I take a seat on the couch and take a sharp breath, replaying all of what happened today. Then I cry again for God knows how long.

I don't know how long I've been crying. Night comes and I still haven't moved from the couch. I was just staring into nothingness while Marcus was inside my head, torturing every being of me. I can't think straight, and all I can feel is the emptiness.

For a moment, there's a rustle, a movement, outside my house and I imagine that it's nothing. I refuse to believe that whatever happened earlier isn't real. I know it's dumb and totally stupid of me, but that's the only way I can think of to help myself from this state. Then there's another rustle again, this time louder, so I get up from the couch and walk slowly towards the window, moving the curtain a bit to peer outside.

The moon is full, dark clouds swirling above, indicating that it's going to rain any time soon. Trees stand tall outside, and there are no cars or people walking by on the road. Looking for a few more seconds, I let out a sigh and decide to head back on the couch and think of how I ruined Marcus' life. Just saying, or even thinking, of his name is enough to cause me pain. I have no tears to cry and I just stare everywhere, feeling helpless, hopeless.

Then the front door has been suddenly busted, breaking into several pieces and when I see the one who did it, my eyes widen.

Marcus' eyes are bloodshot, his skin pale. His breathing is erratic, chest heaving up and down rapidly. He looks like a mess and I feel guilty about it. He falls on his knees and cough out loud, shaking his head and muttering something under his breath. I immediately run beside him but prevent myself from touching him. The fear is still there, living in my heart.

"You need to get out of here," Marcus wheezes out, holding my arm as his eyes meet mine. "Get out of here, as far as possible. You... you need to get out of here."

What he's saying doesn't make any sense yet I try to understand him. But still, I refuse to touch him. His eyes glisten and just seeing it makes me want to cry again, but there are no tears anymore. There are no tears anymore because I just fucking cried all day and the pain hasn't faded nor it subsided.

"Marcus, just get out of here, please," I tell him, my voice breaking as I stare at him pleadingly. "I can't be with you right now. I can't.... I just can't."