Chapter 2 - Nigel Quintin Ulysses

CHAPTER 2
NIGEL QUINTIN ULYSSES

My girlfriend's beautiful face comes into view as she maneuvers her way into the sea of people. When her eyes land on mine, a quirky smile makes its way into her lips and that's enough to boost myself, to give me an energy that could last for a few days. With the ball in my hands, I bend my knee just a bit, putting force on my legs, and then I jump, throwing the ball into the air, to the basketball ring. My heart stops beating for a while as I watch the ball hits the rim of the ring, going around in circles and then it goes inside and I yell in success, then the bell rings, signaling that the game is done.

Julia, my girlfriend, said that she couldn't make it because she and her friends were planning to go somewhere – girls-day-out, she said to me when I first told her about the game. The game isn't really big – it's just a bet which team is going to win and which team is going to lose. But I'm glad that she's here, was able to catch up even though the game was just seconds away from the end.

The scoreboard reads 85 vs. 82; our team has the 85 score and the other team has the 82. So we won. Julia gives me a beautiful smile, which makes my heart race for a while and I run into her, hugging her with all my might because I missed her so freaking much. Even though we've just seen each other seven hours ago. The girls sigh dreamily when they see us hugging each other as if we haven't seen each other for about a year or so, as if I've just come back from abroad after spending years living in a country I barely know. Julia pushes me away, tiptoes, and kisses me on the lips and just like that, I forget the world around us. I hear them squeal, and smile against the kiss. She kisses greatly, as if she's been born to do that.

"I missed you, you know," I breathe out after kissing her for God knows how long. She beams at me, hugging me tight, resting her head on my chest. "Did you miss me?" she nods her head, sighing out loud and I chuckle. "Well, you need to back off a little, you know. As you can see, I'm kinda sweaty."

Stepping backwards from me, she pouts like a little kid she is and I chuckle. "But you still smell so good, how come?"

I throw her a smirk and wink at her. "Well, it's natural scent of mine." I say, winking at her again and she laughs, shaking her head in amusement. Her jet black hair bounces as she shakes her head, linking her arm with mine. "Are you taking me on a date? I thought you couldn't come since you and your friends had a girls-day-out?"

"We did," she responds, beaming at me. "Nathaly needed to go home because her father just returned home unexpectedly. She really missed her dad so much. Plus it was really a boring day. Not until I saw you. Joanna kept complaining about her hair because it's becoming frizzy and I couldn't deal with her. And yeah, I missed you so much. I wanted to see you."

"Aw, my girlfriend is so cute," I say, pinching her cheek, loving how cheeky she is. She gives me a playful glare and I tweak her nose, smiling brightly and she rolls her eyes at me. I sling my arm around her neck, pushing her closer to me and smell her scent. "Do you have plans later? Mom is kind of asking you to join us at the dinner."

"Nope and of course, I'll come to dinner." She chortles, her arm circling around my waist behind my back, and rest her head on my shoulder as we walk through the parking lot, heading to where my blue 2009 Ford Mustang is parked. "I missed Nina, too, you know." She lets out a chuckle and when we reach my car, she immediately slides into the passenger seat as soon as I unlock it. I climb into the driver seat, put the key in the ignition, and turn the engine on. Looking over my shoulder just to check if someone's at the back, I find no one. Pulling away, I shift the gear and in a few minutes, we're now hitting the road.

Julia and I met about a year ago. She was watching one of my basketball games when she stepped into the crowd and my eyes saw her, raked her. Though she wasn't really a big fan of basketball, or sports, at all, she came because her friends insisted her to go to. I was always focused on games that I barely had time to search for a girl, a girl that would understand everything that I do and will do. It had come to a point where my teammates teased me for being such a lover-less man, and they sometimes teased me, telling me that I was gay. There's no homophobic slur at it, considering that some of the students here are out and proud, and nobody's really touching them. Our school is open to those third genders (it exists, right?) (gay or lesbian or whatever their sexuality is), and we protect them. There's even an LGBT+ club here in our school, with the aim to protect each one of them and help them.