Ex-friend - #49

You only had a small handful of friends but a collective ton of enemies. Being a pureblood Slytherin who was good friends with Draco Malfoy didn't help your reputation, but you enjoyed watching younger years run away and feel the weary glares from the older kids. You didn't mind your reputation but apparently you best friend seemed to have a problem.

Callum Rodgers had been your best friend since before you arrived at Hogwarts. You were sorted into Slytherin whereas he was placed in Ravenclaw. You both didn't seem to have a problem with the arrangement and carried on as friends. That was until the beginning of 5th year when Callum began acting weird around you. Whenever he thought you weren't watching he would give you strange glares like everyone else did, mutter comments under his breath when you spoke to him and even flat out ignored you for one week. And this was all before the Inquisitorial Squad.

Two months until the end of the year, you decided to confront him about why he had been so weird around you for the last 9 months.
As you waited outside his Transfiguration class, leant up against the wall, he emerged alongside Hermione and Ron, laughing about something you really couldn't care less about. Clocking him instantly, you push yourself off the wall and walk up to him. "Callum." You called, placing a hand on his shoulder and turning him around.
As he turned, his jolly face turned sour as he turned his nose up at the sight of you. "What do you want?" He asked hastily.
You scoffed. "Nice to see you too bud. I want to know what you have been avoiding me so much lately." You told him as his classmates walked away from the two of you, as though they anticipated it would become awkward any second.
He shook his head in disgust. "Because you disgrace me (Y/L/N). What you're doing is not right and I though you would have learnt that." He spoke honestly, not caring how much his words hurt.
"What the hell are you talking about? I'm no different now than I was when I met you. You were fine with me for 6 years but now I have 'gone to far'? What's your problem?" You spat back, not really understanding what you did to change his perception of you.
Callum shook his head profusely. "No. You're not the same and you never will be." With that, the boy you though was your best friend walked away from you and out of your life.

You stood there in stunned silence, unsure of what you had done to lead Callum to believe you were any different. He had left you, shown he didn't want anything to do with you anymore, and you were angrier than ever. You knew if anyone came anywhere near you, or said anything even slightly rude, you would not hesitate to hex them.
You stormed back to your common room knowing exactly who you could turn to, Draco. He had been your friend since the start of first year and you had always been pretty close. Even more so since Callum had basically stopped talking to you for 9 months so he was becoming your best friend regardless. But today you needed him more than ever.
Powering through the door, you saw your friend on the sofa reading a text book. As you approached Draco a small voice came from the chair next to him.
"What's wrong? Did your boyfriend break up with you?" Pansy muttered, studying the rage on your face.
Looking abruptly towards her you snarled. "Shut it Parkinson." You warned, causing her face to go pale as she scurried away, intimidated by your tone.

Getting rid of Pansy, you sat beside Draco as he gave you a worried look. "Callum?" He simply asked.
"Callum." You confirmed, crossing your arms over your chest and leaning back. You didn't look at Draco, but instead studied the fire place and the way the flames danced with one another on the hearth. But this didn't stop him from studying your features intently.
"What did he say?" He asked wearily.
You finally looked over to your friend and sighed. "He told me that I disgraced him, that I have taken it to far now and that it will never be the same between us because of it. Not entirely sure what I did but I'm not in the mood to deal with him anymore." You sounded fed up. You were. You didn't have the time to deal with his attitude so you thought it best to just get over his words.

Draco on the other hand thought otherwise. He was very protective of his friends, especially you, so he was not going to sit back and let the Ravenclaw boy insult his friend.
You spent your evening in your room practicing spells to take your mind off of things, where as Draco was going to the library to write his Charms essay. As Draco walked in he spotted Callum sat alone at a table, writing vigorously with his quill. His blood boiled seeing the Ravenclaw sat there without a care in the world, without any regard for the platinum haired boys friend. Slamming his books down, Draco sat on the table parallel to Callum and watched him discreetly. The open area in the library was to public for Draco to release his inner rage, even if he did want to embarrass the punk. But he wanted to scare the raven haired boy more than embarrass him. He wanted to scare him into telling him everything. Scare him into never going near you again. Scare him into keeping his big mouth shut.
So when Callum got up to put a book back on the shelves, Draco saw his opportunity.

He waited a few moments before following the brown haired boy down to the end of the library. The rows of stacking shelves lined the library in rows and created a secluded place away from the other studying students.
As Callum whipped round to place a book on the shelf, Draco peered round the corner to ensure he was alone. With Callum studying the books in front of him, Draco marched up to him, spinning the boy round suddenly and pinning him up against the self.
Fear was etched on Callum's face as he saw the seriousness on Draco's. "Don't you ever talk to (Y/N) like that again or I will hex you." Draco began, narrowing his eyes at the boy.
Callum's breathing was rapid. "I bet you're one as well. You went together didn't you." He tried to be cocky but Draco kneed him in the groin.
"What in Merlins name are you talking about?" He whisper yelled.
Groans erupted from Callum as pain courses through his lower half. "You're Death Eaters. The pare of you. Everyone knows." He stated as though the Slytherin should already know this.
Draco's eyes widened, dropping Callum. "Neither of us are Death Eaters so you better keep that massive nose out of other people's business. (Y/N) is not a Death Eater so stop spreading shit." Draco spat. Callum just scoffed at the boy so Draco acted on his instincts and punched the Ravenclaw on the jaw. As profanities spilt from Callum's mouth Draco warned him once more. "Don't make me tell you again Rodgers. She has done nothing wrong. Now stay away from her." He advised, snarling at the boy that was clutching his face and staring up at Draco. Callum looked guilty. He knew that if Draco was getting this worked up about it, then he must be telling the truth. And for that, Callum felt awful.

As Draco slid away from the Ravenclaw, he picked up his books with a wide, knowing, smirk and walked back to the common room without another word.