Learning is Hard - #82

Having muggle parents meant they you had been born with a few muggle traits. A distinct one being Dyslexia, a learning difficulty which worried you, especially in Snape's lessons. Before you went to Hogwarts, your muggle primary school had told your parents about your difficulty. You were behind in class, struggled with forming responses to things and couldn't spell for toffee. It wasn't a big deal in primary school as they were aware of a multitude of different learning styles, difficulties and disorders. But when you came to Hogwarts, things were very different.

You became friends with Hermione Granger on the first day. She was muggle born just like you, and incredibly intelligent. You had intended to read a few books in the holiday to get yourself a head start, but struggled massively and only got through the first chapter of the assigned potions text book. Hermione on the other hand, excelled instantly at everything she did which nocked you down a bit.
But as you went up the years you began to see that there was no point in trying to compare yourself to her in fist year, because she was a natural born genius. Since 1st year, you and Hermione had been potions partners. But for a few weeks Snape decided to change some things up, an uncommon occurrence for the bland man.

"For the best few weeks, you will be working alongside people whom you have never worked with." He addressed the 5th year class of Slytherin and Gryffindor students. "I have taken the liberty of placing you all into alternate pairs." He told you all as he began listing off names. "Granger with Parkinson. Potter with Goyle. Malfoy with (Y/L/N)." He listed.
Your eyes widened and you looked over to Hermione who was sat next to you. "It's fine. He's good at potions, you'll be alright." She reassured, placing a hand on your shoulder.
You sighed, getting up from your bench and walking over to where Draco was sat. You perched reluctantly next to him knowing exactly how the next hour was going to play out. "Right. Let's just get this over and done with. We are making Draught of Peace so find it in the book." Draco ordered, waving his hand absentmindedly over the text book you would both be working from.
You flicked through the book to find the correct page while Draco collected the ingredients that he already knew he needed.

When he got back you had found the page and he began making his way through the steps as you handed him the items he asked you to. The lesson ticked on and Draco began looking intently at the potion to make sure nothing went wrong. "Could you read step 7 for me?" He asked as he watched for the potion to turn purple.
You had a brief moment of panic, knowing you weren't going to be able to read half of the words flawlessly. But you took a deep breath and looked down at the page. "Um, yeah. Sh-a-sha-ke pow-der-ed p-p-porc-u-pine qu-quills vig-or-ous-ly..." you stuttered, attempting to read the word in front of you aloud, as the letters danced round the page in disorganisation.
Draco huffed. "For crying out loud." He interrupted mid sentence, snatching the book from in front of you and reading it effortlessly. "Shake powdered porcupine quills vigorously until they are ready and then add until the potion turns red. There. Not hard (Y/L/N)." He spat, snatching the quills from your hand and shaking them as the book said.
You sighed, knowing this would happen. It always did. You had only told Hermione about your dyslexia so everyone else just thought you couldn't read, or speak, or write. "Not my fault the letters won't stay still." You mumbled to yourself, not thinking Draco would hear you.
But he shot you a deathly glare. "Well maybe the book is enchanted for you." He mocked, continuing to stir the liquid as you watched beside him.

The end of the lesson finally came around and you had both finished the potion. Well, Draco had. He wouldn't let you anywhere near it. Before you could leave, Snape got everyone to sit down so he could assign the homework. "I want a ream of parchment on the potion you have been working on today with the side effects and uses embedded into the method. It must be in by tomorrow morning, no exceptions." He narrowed his eyes at Ron who was always reluctant to do his work. Everyone acknowledged the work and packed away. "Maybe you should borrow Granger's book tonight. Perhaps the words will stay still in hers." Draco suggested quietly with a smirk as he walked past you.
You shook you head and joined Hermione in leaving the room.

For the rest of the day, from 3pm, you attempted the essay. You skipped dinner, avoided your friends and sat alone at the back of the library knowing you needed to get this done. At 8:30 you looked down at your page. Five and a half hours you had spent doing this poxy essay and how many lines had you written? Twelve. Twelve lines! You'd had enough. Crossing your arms over the paper and resting your forehead against them, you let out a long groan. There was no one in the library as it was getting late so you let out your raw emotions. As small tears fell from your eyes, you tried to be as silent as possible just incase someone did walk in. "Why can't you read and write like a normal person?" You sobbed, sitting up and resting your head on your finger tips.
Looking frustratedly down at the almost blank parchment, you let the tears fall on the pale yellow paper.

You squeezed your eyes shut and sat there for a few moments trying to compose yourself. The soft but piercing scrape of a wooden chair on the floor was heard beside you. Quickly opening your eyes, you looked at the boy who had just sat next to you. "Do you need a hand?" Your temporary potions partner asked.
You shook your head, swallowing the lump in your throats and breathing deeply. "Nope. No. It's fine. Thanks. I'm fine." You told him, sliding the ink pot closer to you.
Draco gave a sympathetic frown. "You don't look fine. You look like your struggling." He observed.
"Well maybe that's because I am." You snapped, becoming fed up of always being at the bottom and always being looked down on. "I can't read the bloody words. If for some miraculous reason I can, I than can't get the words out and onto the paper. And then there's the spelling. That's nonexistent. Can I comprehend what's going on; absolutely not! I'm sick of it. I'm sick of feeling stupid. I know most of the stuff, I just can't do this." You rant, not caring that it was Draco Malfoy, the schools biggest bully, sat listening to your problem.
The blonde took the parchment and ink from in front of you and dragged it towards him. You looked at him as tears pooled once more in your eyes. "You speak. I'll write. Do you want me to read you the extract first?" He commanded, giving you no other choice.

For three hour, you and Draco sat in the library writing the essay together. He gave you helpful hints and added extra bits to allow the piece to gather extra marks from Snape. Together, you had created a masterpiece in your eyes. It wasn't quite as good as Draco's work but it was 100 times better than you had previously done. As you both packed up, you thanked him considerably. "Honestly Draco. What can I do to thank you?" You asked, wanting to repay him in some way for his kindness.
He shook his head. "Nothing. Well, actually. Could I ask you a question?" He suggested.
You nodded. "Anything!" You exclaimed putting the paper into your bag.
He scratched his head nervously. "Why can't you read?" He enquired.
You gave a small smile. "It's not that I can't read. It's just the words don't make much sense. It's called Dyslexia. It's present in 1 in 20 muggles. I guess I just got it as well." You explained shyly.
He nodded, finally understanding.

The next day, Draco tore into potions with a grin across his face. "So. I did a little bit of research last night and apparently making paper yellow can sometimes help. Ever tried it?" He beamed proudly.
Truth be told, you had tried it and it didn't really make much difference, but Draco had gone to all of that trouble to try and help so you just shook your head with a smile. With that, he waved his wand to make the pages of your book slightly yellower than before. "Let me know if this helps." He whispered, winking as Snape entered the class room.