34.

a/n: warning- this chapter is probably shit.

"Happy birthday dear, Brendon. Happy birthday to you!" We all clapped and whistled while Brendon cuts the big cake.

A cry is heard from the table behind me and I see Brendon's aunt run up to him with tears running down her cheeks and her sobs filling the room. She squishes Brendon's cheeks together and hugs him tight.

He sighs and hugs her awkwardly back. "Aunt Keira, don't cry. I'm only eighteen years young."

She cries harder. "Oh, Brendon- my baby! I remember when you were just eighteen months young. You grew so fast!"

Elizabeth swallows back a laugh. Brendon always had talked about his Aunt Keira. He said she was the crazy-joyful-emotional one. If I thought Flora was overjoyed, Aunt Keira is rocket-high jumping for joy. He always mentioned how she always made him feel awkward with all the teasing about nothing and how she always takes everything straight to the heart, but she's still always been there for him.

You see, Brendon's parents are religious as fuck. (Probably shouldn't put the word fuck and religious in the same sentence.) As a kid, he would never be allowed out on Sundays due to a religious thing. I'm not so sure how it works, but they'd only sing carols of the faith and would worship any chonce they got.

When Brendon was introduced to music, he took music to his own religion. Obviously, his parents never approved of that so Aunt Keira came in to play. She would always make sure that he's okay with what he believes in and what he is rather than pleasing others with who he's not. Yes, she can be annoying, but I've always dreamed of support from people like she gives.

"Here, eat this," She takes out a piece of cake with her hands and shoves it in his mouth. Brendon grimaces and gives a thumbs up to her.

"Wow, that's great." He mumbles with the sweet in his mouth.

I smile and Sarah gives him a peck on the lips. The day ended up being filled with crazy nonsense, to be honest.

Patrick, Elizabeth, Sarah and I all planned to be in Brendon's room so we can wish him a happy birthday the minute he wakes up. That didn't happen because fooking Patrick had to use the washroom and stayed there for like ten hours.

Then, we all decided that we would go out and have fun. That also didn't happen because Elizabeth got sick and threw up three times. We ended up getting medicine for her instead, but Brendon didn't seem to mind. He was laughing the whole time.

After Lizzie started feeling better, I suggested watching a movie. Everyone agreed to this horror one, but none of us knew that Brendon would almost wet his pants. We had to rush him to the bathroom. I should've expected it from that time we went to the haunted house together and his forehead grew.

Really, we just tried to make sure Brendon would have the best birthday ever but all our plans horribly failed. In the evening, we went to his aunt's house which is how we ended up here. His parents and siblings are here, too. I shouldn't be feeling as awkward as I am with his family being around.

Sarah cuts us all slices of the chocolate cheesecake. I've been itching ever since I came here to taste the chocolate on my tongue. My mouth's been watering just with the thought.

"This is great," Elizabeth hums. Patrick nods and takes two more slices. "Who made it? Or was it store bought-"

"Me! Me!" Aunt Keira smiles hugely. "It was me! I made it with extra love and sprinkled a bit of...magic on it." She winks.

I accidentally let out a small snicker but shut up when Brendon looks at me. I now see what he means. His aunt really is a hot mess.

His mother, Grace, starts cleaning up the table and tilts her head to the side. "Brendon, why don't you guys all go in the back? It's nearly sundown, might as well go crazy before the sun sets."

And so we all head to the backyard. It's amazingly amazing. There's a large pool, a hot tub on the side that glows different colours and a soccer plus basketball field. For a modern house, this backyard is huge and beautiful!

"WHOO!" Patrick yells while ripping his shirt and pants off and cannon balling into the pool. Okay, but same.

Brendon does the same with a yell and water splashes everywhere. Aw, I wish I could do that.

My eyes trail down to what I'm wearing. Black leggings and a huge black with a bit of white t-shirt. I gnaw my lip while contemplating if I should just jump in like this. What's the worse that's going to happen? My hair getting ruined? A little chlorine on my clothes? I'm just going to live while I'm young.

"FIRE!" The scream escapes my lips. Before I can think twice, I jump into the pool letting the cold water consume me. It's so blue. I wave my arms around to resurface me and I look at Patrick and Brendon with a huge smile. They smile back at me before splashing water at my face.

As a child, I had always wanted to just be able to, well, do this. Have fun. I'd also always wanted to have a guy best friend, and I have two. As a known fact, I don't have siblings so feeling lonely around the house was a common feeling for me. Before I turned fourteen, my family had lived in a huge house with a pool and everything. Of course, I never felt the desire of feeling alone. A thing about me is that I've always hated feeling alone. I still do.

We moved out to the house I live in now a month after my fourteenth birthday. I loved it from the start. Mostly because of my room and the size of it, but the neighbourhood and everything is also great. A lot of my friends were made from neighbours but they either moved or we just stopped hanging. My old house was kind of just...rich people. We aren't even that rich, so I couldn't fit in.

Not to mention, Louis' house isn't that far from mine. Wink, wink.

"Alex, move!" Elizabeth shouts and I look at where she is.

Oh no.

The next thing I know, Lizzie and I are both underwater and when I manage to get out, my hair's covering my whole face, making it harder for me to breathe. Sarah laughs and moves the hair out of my face with her dry hands. She's still not in the water.

I send Lizzie a playful glare.

A basketball bounces off my head.

"Oo, let's play!" I say grabbing it.

And hey, I'm actually laughing. I'm actually having fun. I can finally say that I'm actually happy in this moment. Today's been amusing.

I should really appreciate my friends more.