7. bank

Once Riley and Allison arrived a few blocks from the bank with the bolt cutters in hand, they set off down the sidewalk in the night to scope the place out. Riley was not really keen on the idea of the two girls going alone, since none of them had supernatural senses and she was pretty sure Allison didn't bring any of her weapons. Nonetheless, they did have a fairly large pair of bolt cutters that would do some damage if someone ended up swinging it around, so Riley was comforted by that fact.

"So Allison, there's something I've been meaning to tell you-- and Lydia... Well, it's not really an official announcement I mean, I'm pretty sure everyone knows by now--"

"Riley, just tell me." Allison interrupted. The sound of their heels clicking on the cement was the only sound heard from the street. Allison swung the bolt cutters back and forth in her hand as they walked.

"Right, so basically... I'm not human." She blurted, and regretted the way she chose to phrase her words. Allison kept walking; her facial expression did not change.

"I know. My dad told me." She replied, and Riley's dark eyebrows found themselves resting above her eyelids.

"Your dad? How would he know?" She asked in confusion. How could Chris Argent know about Riley being a shield? She had never formally talked to him before; only those few occasions where he would ask her to pass the gravy or rolls over at the dinner table. Riley couldn't think of a possible explanation as to how he would've known. How long has he known? Did he know longer than Riley did?

Allison merely shrugged her shoulders and the two girls got to the entrance of the old building. Paper was put up on the doors and windows to block out the sunlight and enhance its abandonment, but it had wilted off and seemed to be ripped from its glass. Chains held the handles of the front doors together, and Riley thought that Allison was really smart. The logo for the bank displayed itself on both doors as her eyes automatically wandered to Allison's covered wrist. They walked up to the door, Riley keeping a look out, as Allison cut the chains and pulled them off.

"Ready?" She asked, her hand on the handle. Riley nodded, as they both quietly walked inside. She shut the door behind herself as they looked around the large dusty room. Their heels echoed throughout the large building. Riley looked at all of the overturned furniture that were in random places around the room. Papers scattered the floors and tables were covered in a thick layer of dust.

Allison set the bolt cutters down next to the wall, but Riley didn't think much of it; she hadn't heard anyone yet, so maybe they were out having a late dinner?

They walked through the lobby, continuously looking around, until Riley got a fright of a life time. Allison had accidentally kicked something that sent an echo around the room.

"Really?" Riley forcefully whispered, frowning at Allison as her beating heart almost jumped out of her chest.

"Sorry." She whispered, as they continued their journey to the hallways. Cabinets lined the walls with various doors leading to mysterious rooms were planted opposite each other. The two girls walked down the hall, Riley almost slipping on a piece of paper.

She walked over to the wall and leaned on it as she fixed her laces that were trying to trip her over, when someone came out of the shadows and attacked Allison. She pinned her against the wall next to Riley as she stood up frozen, recognizing the attacker as her guidance counsellor, Ms. Morrell. Riley soon realized that when she was faced with danger, her body always responded with the freeze part of the fight-flight-freeze response.

"Keep your mouth shut and listen close. You have no idea what you two just stepped into. Right now you've got about 20 seconds to get your asses hidden." She explained, as she continued to push Allison against the wall. Riley didn't know what to do; she was not specialised in combat like Allison was and judging by the situation at hand, Ms. Morrell was pretty good at combat as well and would have easily taken Riley down.

"What are you doing?" Allison asked, her voice wavering. Her hands were glued to Ms Morrell's forearm which was pinned against her neck.

"Get in that storage closet over there and lock the door. When you hear the fighting start, that's when you come out." She ignored Allison's question as she kept warning them.

"What fighting?" Riley asked, and Ms. Morrell looked at her.

"You'll hear it. Now go!" She said, and ran off down the hall. Riley grabbed Allison with no time to spare and they were soon locked in the storage closet together. Riley was hit with a rotting smell as she scrunched her nose up, but that soon disappeared as she and Allison heard footsteps coming down the hall. The girls moved away from the door and quietened their breathing. Riley did not have to do it as much, but it was still scary.

Shadows passed the door, but one remained. Riley looked at Allison and nodded to the crack under the door, as she spotted the shadow as well. Allison quickly grabbed a bottle full of Ammonia and let it spill out near the crack under the door to mask their scent. Riley never would have thought of that. The shadow soon walked away and Allison took off her jacket and lay it on the liquid where she stood on top of it, breathing a sigh of relief. She took her phone out and put the flashlight on, both girls finally seeing where they were.

Shelves full of outdated bottles of chemicals sat with dirt covering them as Allison shone the light around the room. She moved the flashlight over to the other corner, and both girls gasped in shock. It was a body.

Erica's body.