24. disappear

The following week was a hiatus; Riley had found out through Stiles that two doctors and Mr. Harris had gone missing. These sacrifices were getting very scary; first were the three virgins, then the warriors (Mr. Harris served in the army, which was why he was taken) and next were three healers. Two were already taken, and Stiles and Scott had yet to figure out who the last one was.

That was until Scott received a call from his boss during his Chemistry class that he was going to be taken. Riley had no idea that the Darach, the person taking the bodies, wanted Deaton. He was a vet; she would have thought that it would have been another doctor. Scott told Riley about his phone call after school when they met up to rush over to the clinic.

The three amigos headed over and were met with the sheriff and his partner in the reception room. Stiles had called his father and told him about the call from Deaton.

"We're going to do everything we can to find your boss. Best thing you can do is go home." He told Scott, patting his shoulder in a comforting manner. Scott nodded and the sheriff walked over to his partner at the reception desk, where Scott motioned for the two teens to head into the cat room for privacy.

"We have to tell him." Scott deadpanned to Stiles, who looked at him unbelievably.

"You mean like, tell him, tell him? Or you mean telling him something else that isn't actually telling him what I think you want to tell him?" Stiles asked obnoxiously, and Riley rolled her eyes.

"Pretty sure he means tell him everything." Riley cut in, and Stiles looked at her in an almost sarcastic way, as if you could look at someone sarcastically.

"No, okay, first of all, you're a hypocrite." Stiles accused, pointing at Riley. "And secondly, you remember how your mum reacted? She didn't look at you in the eye for like, a week." He turned to Scott, who seemed very concerned.

"She got over it. And it actually made us closer."

"No, come on, look at him. He's completely overwhelmed as it is." Stiles argued, as all eyes in the room looked through the window of the door over to the clearly stressed sheriff. Riley felt bad for him; he was only stressed because he knew nothing. She was on Scott's side for this.

"Stiles, he knows nothing, that's why he's overwhelmed. He has no idea what's going on." Riley replied, but Stiles shook his head.

"Yeah, this is his town; these people... He's supposed to protect them. But he can't do that because he has no idea what's going on. It's not his fault that he doesn't know what's happening. He's gonna find out sooner or later." Scott added, as Stiles rested his hand on an empty cage.

"But, is now really the right time?" Stiles asked. He looked very reluctant to tell his dad, but Riley couldn't understand why. What was the worse that could happen? The very least would be that the sheriff would think he's crazy, or he would just yell at Stiles for not telling him sooner. Either are temporary accusations.

"What if not telling him now, gets someone else killed?"

"What if telling him, gets him killed?" Stiles said forcefully, and Riley could see his eyes turning glossy. Now she understood why he didn't want to tell him; to protect him. "I mean look, I get that Deaton has been like a father to you; I get that. But Scott, this is my actual father. I can't... I can't lose both my parents, alright? Not both of them."

Riley remembered the day that she was informed by gossip floating the school that the Stilinski kid's mother had died. Obviously, in elementary school, no one knew how. But as the years flew past, Riley found out that she died of frontotemporal dementia and her mental state deteriorated. Stiles was around 10 years old.

"You're right." Scott comforted, but Stiles sighed as he shook his head.

"No I'm not. I'm not right. I'll tell him." Stiles admitted, and Riley gave him a comforting pat on the arm.

"I'll help you." Scott stated, and nodded once before he turned and left the room. Stiles paused for a moment, and Riley turned to him.

"Don't worry, Stiles. It will go great. If you want, I can be there for moral support." Riley offered, and Stiles nodded.

"Yeah, sure." He replied, faintly smiling at her before the two followed Scott out of the room.

The three stopped outside the door when they saw Ms. Morrell, their guidance counsellor, talking to the officers. Riley had a hard enough time avoiding her at school ever since the incident at the bank, but now she had to force herself from not hiding behind one of the two boys in front of her to avoid eye contact.

"Please, whatever you need, however you can to find my brother." She said to the two adults, as Stiles looked at Scott in a questionable way as he mouthed 'brother' to him. Riley was confused as well; she did not know that they were brother and sister. Why did they have different last names? Ms. Morrell wasn't married, due to her martial status. Maybe it was her ex husband's last name, and she decided to keep it for teaching purposes.

"Will you excuse us for a moment?" Sheriff asked her and she nodded as she watched the two walk over to the new arrivals wearing black suits.

Ms. Morrell made a beeline towards the three and Riley was forced to confront her.

"Listen closely, all of you." She started, giving a warning glance to Riley behind the two boys. "No sheriff, deputy or detective is going to be able to find him."

"You don't have to ask us for help." Scott insisted, and Ms. Morrell looked amused.

"Actually, I'm trying to help you. Because if you're going to find my brother, then you need to use the one person who might actually have an ability to seek out the supernatural."

Stiles sighed quietly and looked at Scott knowingly.

"Lydia."

While everyone left to go find Lydia (who was still at school, since she had this after school studying thing), Riley decided to go talk to Isaac to try and patch things up. She's been feeling distant from him lately and she wanted to know what was going on.

Since he wasn't at Scott's house, she opted for Derek's apartment. Where else would he be? He must be living there, since Derek was obviously no longer a resident. She did feel pretty bad that Derek was actually gone, but at the same time, she didn't really feel heartbroken.

The door to his apartment was unlocked, which was lucky for Riley; she would feel stupid to be knocking on the door for five minutes if he wasn't actually there and end up embarrassing herself in front of the neighbours that weren't actually watching her.

The first thought that came to mind was that the fact that Derek must have had a burst pipe because his apartment currently had a foot of water submerging it.

"Isaac, you in here?" She asked, about to take a step down into the water when she heard a shout from around the corner to her right.

"Don't go into the water!" She heard him shout, and she saw Boyd's head poke around the corner. Her foot was hovering over the water, when she retracted it in a scared manner.

"Why? What did you do? Where's Isaac?" She asked, and saw Isaac's head of hair behind Boyd.

"I'm over here. Don't touch the water, I'm serious. You'll die in an instant." Isaac warned, as Riley took another step back away from the water. She was glad that she was on a platform. She looked around and saw a pair of shoes next to the door, where she took one and threw it into the water, which sent out sparks and electricity into the air around it. She jumped back (even though she was at a safe distance) and looked at Boyd wildly.

"What the hell did you two do?" She asked loudly, and he rolled his eyes at her.

"We're protecting Derek from the Alpha Pack." Boyd explained, and Riley scoffed.

"Derek's dead. Are you trying to make me join him in hell?"

"Actually, I would think that I have a place in heaven."

Derek's head poked around the wall and Riley gasped loudly.

He was alive.