29. recital

Riley arrived at the recital just after it had started, where she slipped inside and stood next to Scott, who she was surprised to see.

"What are you doing here? I would have thought that you'd be studying or some bizarre thing like that." She asked, here arms folded against her chest as her eyes wandered over to the front, where the band had just started to play the symphony.

"I'm trying to make sure that no one dies tonight." He whispered back. Riley just stood there, not even fazed by his answer. Of course someone was going to die. Of course.

"Who's gonna die?" She asked annoyingly. Scott glanced at her before looking back at the band on the stage.

"A teacher. I don't know who yet. The Darach is sacrificing philosophers now and then... I don't know what else, but I'm just here to stop it, if I can." He said, and Riley nodded. She really hated the supernatural. What does the Darach think that they would accomplish by killing all of these innocent people? Well, Riley already knew why, but still, power wasn't an excuse to kill so many people who didn't deserve it. Riley would at least appreciate it if the Darach would at least kill the bad people. Terrible thing to say, she knew that, but it was a start.

The symphony started out very beautifully, but then it started to turn a bit... Dark. Everyone seemed to be possessed in a way, as was the composer. The singers started to chant and sing high and low notes and the audience started to whisper among themselves. Isaac, Allison and her father came in, and Isaac nodded at Scott. Riley watched him run over to the back of the hall with Allison and Chris.

Stiles skidded inside a few minutes after Isaac did, and came over to Scott and Riley. He was about to talk, but then he turned to the front and watched the orchestra in confusion. He looked around at the crowd, which made Riley do so as well.

"Is Lydia here?" Stiles asked them, to which Riley shrugged her shoulders and Scott nodded.

"Yeah, she's right--" He cut himself off as he looked around at the audience, but then froze. "I don't know."

It only took a concerned look between the three before they ran out of the hall and into the cold, breezy night.

"Lydia!" The two boys shouted, as they only made themselves more worried for the girl's safety.

"Maybe she went to the bathroom?" Riley suggested, and Scott shook his head.

"No, I don't think she'd go to the bathroom under the circumstances of what's happening right now. She said she couldn't bring herself to go home because she had a really bad feeling about tonight. I mean, I do too, but it's Lydia; if she has a bad feeling, then hell, something bad is gonna happen."

"I agree with that." She replied, as she watched Scott look around the building.

"Anything?" Stiles asked desperately. He didn't reply; he just stared at the ground in a panic. Riley couldn't even imagine what must have been going through his mind. He vowed to himself that he would try to save everyone, but that was soon spiralling out of control as he realized that he couldn't do that.

Scott suddenly groaned in pain and his hands flew to his ears as if someone had blown a foghorn right into them. He crouched down in pain, as Stiles quickly helped him back up whereas Riley just stood there. She honestly thought that by now, Scott would have to be used to the sudden noises that he could hear. But of course, her not actually being a werewolf, she couldn't really judge what was going on.

"Scott?" Riley asked, but his head perked up at classrooms, where he bolted off towards him. Stiles and Riley stood for a second as they looked at each other. Did he really just ditch them?

"Maybe we should--"

"Yeah, come on!" Riley said loudly, as she grabbed his forearm and dragged him to where Scott had ran off to. The two got into the building and heard a loud crash into the classroom closest to them, as they quickly ran over to the door and saw Ms. Blake standing in front of Lydia, who had tears rolling down her face and a cord wrapped loosely around her neck.  Ms. Blake looked over at the two, and she pushed the teacher's desk with ease and it glided over towards the slightly open door, where it slammed shut and acted as a barricade.

"No!" Stiles groaned, as he pushed on the door and tried to open it up, but to no avail. Riley tried to assist, but the two lanky teens could not face the mass of a large desk. The small window was not big enough for the two to look through, so Riley ran down the hall and tried the other door connecting the classroom to the supplies closet. Thankfully, the door was open, so she ran through the large closet and into the classroom, where she saw a very grotesque and slashed up creature bolting out of the window and smashing the glass. Scott was on the ground, now struggling to get up as he held his side, and Lydia was still slumped on the chair, seemingly traumatised by the events that unfolded in front of her.

Stiles rushed in, having successfully moved the desk to side and sliding inside the classroom, and stood next to Scott, who was staring at the broken window and into the dark night.

"Dad?" Stiles asked out loud. The sheriff, who was once in the room with the trio, had disappeared, along with the creature that was Ms. Blake.