12. cross country

It was the day of cross country, and Riley was so ready to be a part of it. She actually enjoyed running quite a lot, even though she was not very good at it. She decided that since she was probably going to be running (away from things) quite a lot, it would be good to participate in these things. Also, she was pretty unfit, so she might as well get started on her cardio now.

They were on the outskirts of the school on the dirt track that leads into the forest, and she was so glad that it was such a nice and sunny day. She was a little jealous about the fact that half of the people running were on the lacrosse team, and henceforth were wearing matching running gear. She felt a little left out since everyone was wearing Nike and she was wearing Adidas. But nevertheless, she was going to have fun. While she was stretching with the rest of the group, she spotted the new twins talking together off to the side of the group. She wanted to make friends with them; if her suspicions of them being a part of the Alpha Pack, she needed to become close to them in order to gain their trust. With that being said, she needed to make sure that she wasn't hanging out with Isaac or Scott where the twins could see them, in case they figure out what she's doing.

She made her way over to them, offering her nicest smile as she started to stretch with them.

"Beautiful day out, isn't it?" She announced, looking up at the blue sky. She wished it was like that everyday; lately, it seemed that the weather was so gloomy all the time. Maybe that was just because of her constant bad mood.

"Yeah, it is." One of them said. Riley still was not sure on which was which, but she hoped that it would become clear soon enough.

"I don't know if you remember my name, it's--"

"Riley. Yeah, we've heard of you." The same boy replied. She was almost positive that it was Ethan, since he was the nicer one out of the two. But then again, she couldn't be sure.

"Oh, really? What have you heard?" She asked curiously. She started to slightly panic; what do they know? She really needed to learn how to mask her shield when werewolves looked at her; at that moment, Emma really was a bit too extravagant.

"How your family built this town." The other explained, and she was slightly relieved. She really hoped that that information was the only thing they heard.

"Oh, yeah. That's true." She chuckled, and the whistle from coach's mouth sounded, which made everyone group behind the starting line. "See you out there." She added, and walked off to the near front. She spotted Isaac down at the front of the line, tying his shoelace, when the two twins walked over to him and stood on either side as they shared a look between themselves. Isaac looked up and the whistle blew again, and everyone was off, except for Isaac. He quickly got up and was about to bolt after them, when Scott stopped.

"Isaac." He warned, and Isaac looked at him dangerously.

"It's them." He growled, and shrugged off Scott's grip before rushing after them. Riley stood beside Scott as she helplessly watched after him.

"Shouldn't we go after him?" She asked, being one of the two people still at the starting line. Scott sighed and nodded.

"Yeah."

Riley was not cut out for running.

At least, not running at top speed for a long time. She tried to catch up to Isaac and the twins, who were long ahead of everyone else, and then Scott caught up to them, so she was left alone with Stiles who was at the back of the group sweating his pits off.

As they rounded a corner, they heard a distant scream ahead. The two looked at each other before rushing over to the scream, and they both gasped as they found a man with a leash wrapped around his neck and the tree. Blood dripped down his front and onto his shoes. It was a ghastly sight.

"That's him, isn't it?" Stiles asked Scott, who miraculously arrived out of nowhere with the twins and Isaac. Scott stared at the body and gave a slight nod. Riley had no idea who the man was, or what they were talking about.

"Who is he?" She asked eagerly, staring at Scott. He glanced at her before looking back at the dead body.

"He came into my work last night with his dog. It was poisoned with Mistletoe. I heard his dog barking outside so I went to see what was going on, and his car was still there, but he was gone."

After about five minutes of standing around the body, the Sheriff and his partner arrived and pushed everyone back. Coach, of course, did not do anything until he was instructed by Stiles' dad to send the kids back to school.

Scott, Stiles, Isaac and Riley all walked off together, as Isaac stared at the twins.

"You see the way they looked at him?" He asked, and Riley glanced at them. She made the point to hide in front of Scott so they wouldn't see her, and she was pretty sure it was working.

"Yeah, you mean like how they have no idea what happened?" Stiles answered, as Riley rolled her eyes. She watched the twins, who actually did look how Stiles described them.

"No, no. They knew."

"That kid was strangled with a garrote, alright? Am I the only one recognizing the lack of 'werewolfitude' with these murders?" Stiles shot back, but Isaac did not believe him.

"Oh, so you think it's a coincidence that they turn up and people start dying?"

"Well, no, but I still don't think it's them." Stiles argued back. Riley agreed with him; if the werewolves were behind these attacks, why would they murder innocent people? And why would they murder three virgins, and one senior? It made no sense, but Riley did not want to argue with Isaac on this point. He was personally attacked by those twins, so he wanted to blame everything that was wrong in the world on them.

"Scott, how about you?" Isaac asked, as they all stopped. Stiles crossed his arms and looked at Scott expectantly, but he looked undecided.

"I don't know yet."

"You don't know yet?" Stiles ghosted, looking at him with such betrayal. Scott looked at Stiles and shrugged.

"Well, he's got a point." He defended, and Isaac smirked at Stiles who looked shocked to see that his best friend wasn't siding with them. Riley was also confused; Stiles was the most logical person there, since he was not biased because the twins hadn't attacked him. "Seriously dude, human sacrifices?"

"Scott, your eyes turn into yellow glow sticks, okay? Hair literally grows from your cheeks, and then will immediately disappear, and if I were to stab you right now, it would magically heal, but you're telling me you're having trouble grasping the concept of human sacrifices?" Stiles ranted, and Scott looked at Isaac in defeat.

"That's a good point too." He agreed, and Isaac rolled his eyes. Scott looked at Riley expectantly, and she shrugged.

"I agree with Stiles, sorry Isaac." She replied, and Isaac glared at her.

"I don't care. They killed that kid, they killed the girl who saved me." Isaac muttered, and turned back to Scott and Stiles. "And I'm gonna kill them too."