18. discreet

Another half-hour passed and they were all jolted to a stop; Riley (being a clueless as she was) almost toppled into the lane of the bus when it suddenly stopped. Luckily, she quickly gripped onto the seat next to her and stopped herself from the humiliation. Unluckily for Stiles, he was not prepared and got a mouthful of the chair in front of him. Riley laughed at his pain as he rubbed his face, where she received a "shut up," from him.

All of a sudden, she was roughly pushed to the side by Scott, who leaned on the chairs for support as he hurriedly walked down the lane and sat opposite of Boyd, who Riley noticed had claws sticking out of the tips of his fingers.

"What's happening to Boyd?" Riley asked worriedly, looking at Stiles. She noticed that he too was pushed aside, and they were sitting closer together than before.

"Scott said he's going do something." He replied, watching the situation at hand. Riley stared at the side of his face, trying to get him to look back at her without making him; and to all surprise, her plan actually worked, which was pretty weird.

She started to think about the bet Olivia had given her, and now that she was looking into Stiles' face, she didn't actually think that it was such a bad idea. He was actually pretty good looking under all of that sarcasm and pale skin. His brown eyes had little flecks of black in them and his hair was styled to look like he had just woken up. Riley was a little surprised to see that his eyebrows were neatly maintained and that he was growing a little bit of stubble around his jawline and above his top lip. His jawline looked like it was carefully sculpted by the gods, as if he was a marble statue, and Riley could only wonder about what was going on under his clothes. All of a sudden, Olivia's very-terrible-bet turned out to be not-so-terrible in Riley's mind. Maybe Emma was also romanticizing Stiles as well since he was a human, and not something that she killed for a living. It was always a good sign that the relatives liked the boy, right?

Stiles had always thought about Riley's face, but he had never been this close to her. Her dark brown hair cascaded down the sides of her faces and framed it well, as if she was a carefully painted masterpiece; freckles graced across her nose and cheeks, which were a slight pink because of the hot temperature in the bus. Her long eyelashes almost touched her eyelid and when she blinked it was like butterflies flapping their wings gracefully; Stiles had never described someone blinking like that before, but he thought that it fit her perfectly. The makeup she was wearing was slightly worn off because of the amount of times she touched and rubbed her face to get rid of the sweat that pushed itself out of her skin in an attempt to get cool.

The contact was only broken when Scott sat himself back down next to Stiles.

"Crisis averted?" He asked, and Scott nodded. "Good because we've got another problem. Ethan keeps checking his phone like, every five minutes. It's like he's waiting for something, like a message or a signal of some kind. I don't know, something evil though, I can tell. I have a very perceptive eye for evil, but you know that."

The three stared at Ethan curiously, until Scott spoke up. "I don't like him sitting with Danny."

"Yeah, neither do I. I'm gonna see what he's waiting for." Stiles mumbled, and took out his phone.

"What are you doing?" Riley asked, watching him log into his phone.

"I'm gonna ask."

"Who, Ethan? Do you have his phone number?"

"No, Riley, I'm gonna ask Danny." Stiles stated, the obvious annoyance in his voice. She sat back and frowned at him as he typed a message to Danny's phone.

"You didn't have to be so rude about it." Riley mumbled, as she crossed her arms and watched Danny take his phone out. He read the text and looked back at Stiles, who waved his phone around and smiled at him while pointing to Ethan. Danny frowned and shook his head, mouthing the word 'no' before turning back around. Stiles breathed heavily before texting him again, this time more forcefully. He replied with a 'no' again, as they kept arguing over text. he turned back around, frowned at Stiles again, then turned his phone off before putting it back in his pocket. Stiles widened his eyes and had a little fit before gripping his phone once more and started to send an array of texts to him. The only thing that could be heard in the bus was coming from Danny's phone.

"Give it to me." Riley mumbled, snatching the phone from Stiles and starting to send random numbers and letters to annoy Danny. She felt bad about the future phone bill Stiles' Dad was about to receive.

After stopping the texts for a few seconds, Riley noticed that Ethan and him were talking, until Ethan spun around and looked at the trio. The two boys hid behind the seat in front of them, but Riley, having no seat in front of her, snatched her bag and hid her face with it. Very discreet.

"Well, that wasn't very subtle." Stiles whispered, glancing at Riley. They all slowly got back up, Scott wincing at the sudden movement, when Stiles' phone buzzed in Riley's hand. They all looked at the screen, and the text read:

someone close to him is sick. might not make it through the night.

"Ennis?" Scott suggested, and Stiles went on his usual speculation rant. Riley soon realized that Ennis was the large bald man that fought Derek the night he died.

"Okay, so does that mean..."

"He's not dead."