8. beta

Allison and Riley had been hiding in the closet for at least ten minutes until they heard growls and loud bangs emitting themselves from a part of the building. They opted to leave the room and follow the noises. Riley said goodbye to Erica and marked the door so that Derek could take her body afterwards. She thought that it must be respectful, right? To bury your pack members with respect.

She ran into the direction of the noises and came across a large open vault with the logo displayed on the outside and inside. They got to the opening and Riley saw Boyd, Scott and Derek, along with a mysterious girl that Riley had never seen before. They were all fighting each other.

"Look out!" Allison yelled, as Boyd grabbed Scott and threw him against the wall. Derek fought the girl, but he looked reluctant; like he didn't want to hurt her. Riley looked down and saw Mountain Ash lining the room, meaning that they were trapped inside to kill each other. Boyd and the girl must be feeling the full effects of the moon; they seemed to be trapped inside there for a long time, not feeling the moon's power in ages. Maybe this was why they were acting so out of control.

Riley knelt down and Allison followed, but Allison was the only one who tried to do something. Boyd threw Scott around like a rag doll until he finally stabbed his claws into his stomach and lifted him up from the ground. Blood spurted from his stomach and mouth, and Allison watched in horror. She looked down and was about to break the seal, when Derek shouted at her not to. Riley got up and was about to walk in until Allison pushed her away.

"Get behind me." She warned, and Riley did what she was told. She didn't know what she was going to do, but she did have a pretty good idea. "Boyd!" She yelled, and her two hands swiped at the line, sending the ash everywhere as it broke the seal. The two werewolves looked at her and she ran over to Riley in cover. They ran out, and Riley stepped in front of Allison. They looked at Riley (well, her shield) for a second, before bolting in the opposite direction. Riley's heart was pumping, since she didn't know if that was actually going to work, but was glad it did.

Derek walked out and grabbed Allison by the arm, where Scott was wobbling in agony after him.

"Don't touch her!" He yelled, but Derek ignored him.

"What were you thinking?" He yelled at her, and roughly let go of the girl.

"That I had to do something." She replied angrily. Riley was angry too; was he not grateful?

"Derek, she saved your lives." Riley interrupted, as she glanced at Scott's bloody stomach.

"Yeah, and what do you think they're going to do out there? Do you have any idea what we just set free?" He yelled at Riley, looking at Allison. Riley was still standing against the wall, as her fists clenched.

"You want to blame me?" Allison asked loudly, her voice echoing around the large room. "Well, I am not the one turning teenagers into killers."

She made to walk away to signal the end of the conversation, but Derek wasn't done.

"No, no. That's just the rest of your family." Derek retorted. Riley noticed his wounds on his face and arm slowly heal as the blood receded back into his cuts. Damn, that's gross.

"I made mistakes. Gerard is not my fault." Allison replied, standing tall. It was obvious that Derek didn't intimidate her. To be honest, Derek didn't even intimidate Riley as much anymore. He kind of lost that scare factor when Riley found out about her shield. Scott stood there as he leaned on the opening of the safe, not partaking in the bitch fest.

"What about your mother?" Derek asked, and Allison faltered. She frowned at Derek, but still held a tough demeanour.

"What do you mean?" She asked slowly, and Derek looked at Scott. He refused to look back at any of them. He just focused on the ground below him.

"Tell her, Scott." Derek commanded, and Scott finally looked up at him. His eyes held such a betrayal as he looked at Derek, but they just had sadness in them when he looked into the eyes of the girl he loved.

"What does he mean, Scott?" Allison asked, staring at her ex boyfriend. Riley was curious too; she didn't know that Allison had no clue about her mother attempting to kill her boyfriend. When Scott didn't reply, Allison opted to repeat herself, this time more forcefully. "What does he mean?"

Riley soon realized that this would be an awkward and sad talk to endure, so she opted to leave before the water works started.

"Derek, could you please come with me? I need to show you something." Riley quietly said, as Derek frowned at her.

"Really? Now's the time to start show and tell?" He asked sarcastically, and Riley glared at him as she secretly cocked her head at the couple. Scott also stared at him, hinting that he should go as well. He soon got the message, and she lead him across the large room into the hallway where Allison and her hid.

"Who was that girl?" Riley asked as they headed towards the closet. She had never seen her before, although she did look a little bit familiar.

"My sister. Cora." He mumbled, and Riley frowned at him.

"But I thought--"

"You thought that my whole family is dead. Yeah, I thought so too. Apparently my family has a knack for bringing themselves back to life." He snapped, and Riley wondered whether it was the right time to show him his beta's dead body. She didn't reply as they made it to the closet. Instead, she stood at the door and spun around to face Derek with her hands up.

"Now, Derek. Please don't get upset. Just... Keep in mind that people need saving, not - um... Killing? I don't know. Just, promise me you won't get all angry because then we'd have three rogue werewolves on our hands." She pleaded, and his usual expression of annoyance turned into confusion.

"What are you talking about?" He asked, and looked at the door. "Why does it smell like chemicals in there?"

"You'll see. Just brace yourself." Riley replied, as she turned around and slowly opened the door. They both went inside, shut the door and Riley sighed as she looked at Derek. "Can you see it?"

"Well, no. It's pitch black in here." He replied annoyingly, but soon enough Riley could see two red balls floating in the air. They stared at Riley first; well, above Riley, as Derek stared at her guardian. "You know, it's hard to concentrate with that thing glaring at me all the time. Plus, it's way too bright for me to--"

He cut himself as his eyes travelled over to the corner, where Erica sat lifeless and rotten.