44. enjoying my time with you

Because of the power surge that occurred during the night before, Riley was forced to break all contact with her friends as her phone went dead at the last minute. Of course, just because there was a power surge, didn't mean that school wasn't going to be in session. Riley got that message from Coach many times as he paroled the halls with a megaphone, yelling at students a metre away from him.

Scott and Stiles talked with each other about the events that happened the night before at their locker, and what the reason was behind the total blackout throughout town. Turns out, a small and awkward teenager of 17 was the reason for the surge and her name was Kira Yukimura. Don't ask Riley how; all she knew about kitsunes is that they hold and can withstand a lot of electricity. She spotted Kira at her locker, glancing over at the two boys who were also staring and talking amongst each other.

"...Until we figure out if she's just another psychotic monster that's going to start murdering everybody, I vote against any and all interaction from anyone." Stiles argued with Scott, then shockingly witnessed Riley walking up to the girl and having a serious conversation with her. "What did I just say? Scott, what are they saying?"

Scott focused his hearing onto the new conversation between Riley and Kira and listened closely as he recited the lines back to Stiles.

"I heard what happened. About how you're the one who caused this blackout." Riley bluntly said, and Kira's cheeks reddened as she swallowed hard.

"What are you talking about? I don't know anything --"

"Kira, it's okay. I know what you are. I'm here to help you- to push you along the journey of finding yourself." Riley offered, and watched the girl tense up before her. "Look, once I had no idea what I was either, until I was shown and I found out with the help of my friend. I know how it feels to have no idea what's happening to you."

"You do?" She asked quietly, looking up at the taller girl with hope in her eyes. If she really did know what Kira was... She could help her. She could really help her. Riley nodded in response, before placing her hand on Kira's back and feeling the spark between the fox and the ancestor underneath her palm.

"You see, we have this connection, well not really us, but what we are." Riley explained, until she was too far away for Scott to be able to hear clearly without the interference of Coach and other students.

"Great. Where are they going?" Stiles groaned, shutting his locker and sighing. Scott turned to him and shrugged, then remembering a certain topic that he had to discuss.

"So, what did you do last week?" He asked casually, as the two walked down the hall towards their first class. Stiles felt a sweat coming on as he awkwardly shifted his straps on his shoulders.

"Just... Hung out." He mumbled, wiping his brow. Why was he so nervous? This was his best friend he was talking to, he should be spilling every detail with pride. But for some reason, knowing that Riley was both of their friends for quite a while now and that Scott has a lot more experience than Stiles does, he felt a little embarrassed.

"Oh yeah. Doing what?" Scott asked, then he stood in front of him and smirked at the sweaty boy. "Or should I say, who?"

"How do you even know about that?" Stiles asked, shocked that the news had spread so quickly. Did Riley tell everyone?

"So it's true! You and Riley had--"

"Shut up, Scott." Stiles interrupted, his cheeks flushing, but a smile crept along his face nevertheless as he tried to hide it. He could hide his face, but he couldn't hide the sound of his heart rapidly beating against his rib cage at the thought of Riley.