19. fight

"I'm warning you Jared, I'm an empathetic vomiter. If you throw up, I'm gonna throw up right back on you, and it will be profoundly disgusting." Coach announced as he stared the car-sick boy at the front of the bus. The bus was not very large, so Riley could easily hear the conversation happening from where she was.

"Please don't talk about throwing up, it's not good." The sickly green boy replied, as he shook his head.

"I might just throw up on you to make a point, Jared." Coach replied, to which Jared just kept repeating, "it's not good," a few times to himself as he tried to distract himself from the inevitable. "Now the rest of you, don't think that we're gonna miss this meet because of a slight traffic jam, a minor tornado warning, or Jared. We are gonna make this thing, and nothing is gonna stop us!"

Beside Riley, Stiles' hand had found itself up in the air, to which Coach just shut down.

"Stilinski, put your hand down."

"You know, there's a food exit about half a mile up. I don't know if we stop and then maybe--"

"We're not gonna stop." Coach replied bluntly, and Stiles put his hands up in disagreement.

"Okay, but if we stop--"

"Stilinski!" Coach yelled, and blew his whistle loudly. "Shut it! Seriously! It's a little bus! Stop asking me questions!"

"I hate him." Stiles mumbled as he sat back in his seat, and he glared at the back of Coach's head.

"That was entertaining though." Riley pointed out, to which he glared at her.

"Did you call Deaton?" He asked Scott, and he shook his head.

"I keep getting his voicemail." He muttered, as if he was about to fall asleep.

"That's it, I'm calling Allison and Lydia." Stiles muttered, taking out his phone as Riley stared at him in confusion.

"How are they going to help back in Beacon Hills?" She asked, as he typed in Lydia's name in his contacts list.

"They're not. They've following us for hours. Pathetic."

After a lengthy and somewhat mild conversation between Stiles, Allison and Lydia, Stiles was up on his feet and was currently arguing with the Coach to stop the bus at the rest stop.

"Coach, it's five minutes for a bathroom break, okay? We've been on this thing for like, three hours--"

The Coach interrupted him by blowing his whistle into his face.

"It's 60 miles to the next rest stop--"

His whistle blew again.

"Being cooped up for hours, is not good--"

And again.

"You know, our bladders aren't exactly-- Coach, this is-- Can you-- Please-- Can-- Let me talk! I'm--" Stiles was interrupted after every word and when he seemed to obviously agitated, coach laughed and then blew his whistle for at least 10 seconds straight before yelling at Stiles.

"Get back to your seat Stilinski!"

"Okay!" He shouted at a larger volume than the Coach's. He rubbed his nose and turned around, ready to go back to his seat when he overheard the Coach telling Jared to "keep his eyes on the horizon". He slowly turned back around and sat down with him, smiling from ear to ear to the sickly boy. "Hey Jared. How you doing?"

After about 15 minutes of talking to Jared and a quick run back to the back of bus, Jared had finally exploded. Coach was forced to make the driver drive off the road, pass all of the jammed cars and off to the rest stop, where everyone ran off the bus choking on the smell. Riley and Stiles helped Scott off and she was replaced by Lydia and Allison who both came to the rest stop as well. Riley walked over to Boyd and Isaac, who were glaring at Ethan and Danny.

"Isaac, you okay?" She asked, as she put her hand on his arm. He suddenly snapped out of his trance and looked at her, blinking a few times.

"Yeah, just being cooped up on that bus for the last few hours." He replied, and Riley nodded.

"I get it." She nodded, and let her hand fall to her side. She looked over at Ethan as well, who was talking to Danny but was also checking his phone.

"You really going to let him go unscratched? His pack killed Derek. He tried to kill you, Isaac. You really going to let this happen?" Boyd asked quietly, as Riley snapped her head up to him.

"Boyd, no. You heard what Scott said. Didn't he say that you should stay out of it until he thought of something?" Riley warned, and Isaac scoffed.

"He did. But he didn't tell me." Isaac muttered, and took off towards him dangerously.

"Isaac!" Riley shouted, running after them. Boyd grabbed her and pushed her back. She staggered and almost fell over, as she glared at Boyd threateningly.

"Stay out of this." He growled and went to join the circle of people watching the fight. No, Riley wasn't going to stay out of it; she wasn't going to watch someone else get hurt, even if it was Ethan, the one who put Isaac in the hospital, and whose pack had caused them so much pain. Even though he deserved it, she didn't want him hurt.

It was tough trying to push through the crowd, since everyone was riled up and chanted "fight! Fight! Fight!" over and over again. When she did get to the front of the circle, she saw Ethan on the ground with Isaac hovering over him as he repeatedly punched the smiling and bloody face.

"Isaac!" She yelled, not knowing what to do. Danny was held back by Boyd and Coach was nowhere to be seen. "Isaac, stop!" She yelled again, and attempted to grab him. He pushed her away and she toppled over, falling back on her bum as she watched him beat the boy to pulp. Scott suddenly ran over, assessed the situation and yelled at Isaac.

"Isaac!" He yelled forcefully, and immediately he stopped and let him go. Danny dropped to his knees and helped Ethan up, but Riley stayed on the ground. She couldn't believe that Isaac had pushed her over; maybe he didn't mean to, but that didn't matter. He pushed her, and for the second in which he looked at her, the only thing she saw was complete rage and hatred.

The same thing she saw that night at the police station on his very first full moon.