Chapter 4

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀< Poppy's POV >

Poppy gazed around the village. All kinds of decorations had been placed everywhere, there was food, and Suki was preparing the music. Guy Diamond was standing next to her, smiling widely as their two kids Titian and Blossom messed around nearby.

Poppy smirked a little as she saw Titian. The sparkly red troll was her daughter's best friend. But he'll be her boyfriend soon! she thought with a burst of excitement.

"Hey, Poppy! Do you know where Iris is?"

The Queen turned around as she recognized the sound of Branch's voice. The blue troll approached her with concern shimmering in his eyes. "No, I don't. I figured she was getting ready for the party," she admitted, rubbing the back of her neck nervously.

Branch looked around as if he were trying to spot her among the few trolls who were here. The only ones were Poppy's closest friends because they helped her prepare for the party. No one else had come yet.

"Weird. Titian is here so she obviously isn't off with him. Should I ask him if he's seen her?" Branch stared at her quizzically.

"Yes, and I'll come with you. I want to know as well." The pink troll hopped down from the mushroom she'd been standing on and led her husband towards the four trolls.

Guy Diamond looked over as they approached, a welcoming gaze appearing on his face. "Hello!" he greeted.

Titian and Blossom glanced upwards, and DJ stepped down from her podium. "Hey, Poppy. Everything okay?" she asked, letting her headphones drop to drape around the back of her neck instead of be on her ears.

"We can't find Iris," Poppy told them. "Have you seen her?" She turned to Titian as she asked the question.

The sparkly troll shook his head. "I haven't seen her since earlier. She seemed a little upset...but she wouldn't let me help."

Branch and Poppy exchanged looks of surprise. "Upset? Why?" Branch asked, though he wasn't talking to anyone in particular.

"Maybe she's just intimidated by the party. I mean, she's never been a huge fan of them. But I didn't expect her to just...run away." Poppy glanced down at her hands, feeling a bolt of anxiety course through her. She needed to find Iris. "Titian, did you see where she went?"

Titian swallowed, and Poppy noticed him becoming a little nervous. "W-well, she...umm...went in the f-forest. And—"

"What?!" Branch snapped, his eyes becoming wild with anger. "You let her go out there by herself? She could've gotten hurt!"

Titian backed up. "Sorry, sir. I tried but—"

"No! That's not an excuse. If she's dead or hurt, it's your fault!" Branch clenched his fists as if he wanted to punch the sparkly male right in the nose.

Poppy was completely shocked by her husband's yelling and accusations. She knew he was very protective of Iris, but he was being unreasonable. "Branch! Calm down! It's not his fault. He can't control Iris' actions or choices! Leave him alone!"

Guy Diamond and Suki moved closer to their son as if they were ready to protect him. Blossom watched with a dark, yet unreadable gaze. The pale pink female troll was quiet and rarely talked.

Branch faced Poppy, his still burning with that violent blue fire. It was something she hadn't seen in years. That gaze, similar to when they were on the rescue mission...when Cloud Guy came and angered Branch so much with his teasing. She remembered that fierce, threatening gaze the former gray troll had given the cloud when lifting up the stick and breaking it in half.

(^ The face she's thinking about lmao)

She bustled into Branch's side, knocking him away from the other family. "Get it together, Branch! You're making a scene. There's no need to get so worked up—"

"Get worked up?? My daughter is missing out in the forest! We forbid anyone to go out there. Remember the journey here? We got into so much trouble and you told me the things you ran into. A monster disguised as a hill, spiders, fire-breathing plants, Venus fly traps, birds who would scoop you up and eat you, hatch you into an egg, and let its chicks devour you! Do you think I'm wanting to put my baby in that danger?" His ears were actually tainted with red now, and he was trembling.

"Branch, please calm down!" Poppy pleaded. "I know you're scared. We will go find her. I don't want anything to happen to her either!" The Queen's heart was racing wildly in her chest. It was extremely rare that she fought with Branch. They usually got along and made calm decisions. But her husband was getting close to blowing up at this point. "Branch..." She moved closer and grabbed his arm but he shoved her off.

"You know what, Poppy? If you won't take immediate action, then I will!" He began stomping off, but she caught his next words that were just mumbled under his breath, "You've always been irresponsible."

Poppy felt tears watering up in her eyes and a strong lump building up in her throat. She collapsed to the ground, droplets spilling from the edges of her ears and streaming down her cheeks. She sniffled and began crying harder.

"Poppy!" DJ Suki and Guy Diamond rushed over to her, and she saw her other friends who had been watching the scene rushing towards her. "Poppy, are you okay?" Chenille asked as she crouched down beside her.

"I can punch him for you if you want!" Poppy looked up and saw Smidge with that creepy, intimidating look glowing in her bright blue eyes and her strong fists clenched tightly together.

"No, Smidge," she choked. "He's just stressed. He didn't mean anything he said. I know that..." She broke into another bout of crying and her friends began wrapping their arms around her in a giant group hug.

"Cancel the party," Poppy muttered after a while. "We need to go find Iris and bring her home."

Question:
Is there a ship you'd like to have set sail in this book? Because I could look into it ;)

Thank you for reading and don't forget to vote!