Chapter 26

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀< Iris' POV >

Iris was sitting in her room, looking through an old book. She used to read this story a lot when she was little, and to this day she was still intrigued by the plot. She was not a huge reader, but when she did read, she found it to be very relaxing. Life in Troll Tree had become a little new for her. Everything had happened so quickly but she knew this was how it was supposed to be. The Trolls deserved good leaders, and Creek was already providing them with that.

She expected warmth and love for the new King to rush through her, but nothing came. She stopped reading her book, dropping it against her bed as some strange feeling spread throughout her entire body and made her get a dizzy sensation and she felt her breathing become labored. What...what's happening to me? she thought, panic rising up inside her. Creek! Help me! She thought she had been screaming the words aloud, but she wasn't. It was all in her head, her body paralyzed and preventing her from calling out to the purple Troll.

Her panic spiraled all over the place. Am I dying?? But how? I haven't done anything to hurt myself!

She thought death would come take ahold of her. Her chest was tight, her breaths shallow, and her heart pattering irregularly fast. But suddenly, the strange feeling disappeared. Movement returned to her limbs, and she scrambled up to her feet.

Her heart was still beating quickly but it was from panic now. She looked around, her vision blurry but slowly refocusing. "What...?" she murmured as she looked around the room. She felt as if she'd just awoken from a vivid, crazy dream that had been so realistic she almost believed it was happening. This is real life though, she told herself.

"What happened to me? What am I doing?" Iris ran over to her mirror, looking into it and staring deeply into her own bright pink optics, glancing over her blue skin, trailing up her unique and split-colored hair.

The door to her room suddenly flung open and she whipped her head to the side, seeing Creek walking in. The purple male was watching her with a rather curious gaze.

"Y-you!" Iris shrieked. "What have you done?"

She thought she saw some surprise and perhaps frustration pass over the usually retrained Troll's eyes but it quickly vanished. He narrower his gaze, walking over to her and grabbing her hand in a rather tight grasp. "Come with me," he growled.

Iris fought him, pulling back with her arm. "You disgusting idiot! Let me go!"

"Nonsense," Creek said in a friendly tone, but she could tell he was not meaning to be like that. "Iris, I would never hurt you. You trust me."

She reached forward, baring her rounded white teeth and sinking them into the skin of his arm. She bit down as hard as she could, remembering her father once telling her this was good self-defense. This wacko hurt my friends and family! There is no way I'm letting him control me! Triumph flashed through her as she tasted the irony tang of blood on her tongue and Creek yelped, instinctively kicking her back and rubbing the wound.

"Now, now, Iris," Creek growled darkly. "You know better."

"Shut up! You're not my master or whatever the hell you think you are to me!" the blue-skinned female argued, her fingers curling into the palms of her hands, shaking, her heart pounding from both fear and rage.

"You're waking up, sweetheart," Creek sneered, reaching forward and grabbing her arm once again and pulling her towards him. The softness of his tone scared her more than anything. She knew he was trying to scare her...and it was working. "And I can't have you waking up. My plan is just now getting into motion. I don't need that destroyed." His hand gripped tighter around her arm and Iris couldn't hold back the whimper of fear.