Chapter 25

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Titian's POV >

Titian awoke with bright light filtering in through the roof. For a second he had no idea what was happening, why he was no longer in the cage or why they were all surrounded by dirt. But that confusion melted away into relief as he remembered what had happened last night when Pine came to their rescue.

The sparkly red Troll was sleeping close to his parents. Even though they'd finally managed to escape the cage, he was still feeling depressed. He was upset that he'd never tried to help Blossom when he had known exactly what was going on with her. He had brushed it off, just thinking she'd get over it. But why had he thought that? He was usually a kind and caring Troll and didn't leave others to suffer like that.

Then he was painfully reminded of his outburst at Iris. Perhaps he'd been unfair. After all, she had been completely traumatized. So bad that she had refused to leave her pod for several days. And he had just yelled at her for pushing him away. He should've understood her position better, feeling like her personal space was being taken away from her. She had just been upset...and he definitely knew the feeling of wanting to be left alone when saddened. I'm such a jerk! he thought. Well...Iris has turned her back on us so maybe it's okay. Maybe I don't need to be...no! That's not Iris. That's a monster Creek hijacked. The real Iris is trapped inside that witch.

Suddenly, movement out of his peripheral vision distracted Titian from his thoughts. He lifted himself into a sitting position, seeing his parents start to stir, stretching and yawning. But that had not been the movement he saw.

He noticed Pine rising to her feet...but wait! She wasn't gray anymore. Her skin glowed bright red, her hair dark green and streaked with lines of scarlet. She looked cheerful and younger which was strange. She'd always been sarcastic and grumpy around them but now she looked like the happiest Troll in the world. Even happier than Poppy? Fat chance!

Poppy and Branch woke up next, cuddled up against each other and sleeping peacefully. Branch nuzzled his wife's face as she looked up at him and Titian had to push away a small flash of envy. Iris...I'm so sorry. That could've been us. This entire thing is my fault. If I had just comforted you when you needed it, you wouldn't have run off into the forest and brought Creek back to life. Then he would never have jacked up your mind. He turned away, his ears drooping down and his dark green eyes glimmering sorrowfully.

"Titian?" his mother's voice sounded close by and he turned to her, tears spilling down his cheeks as he did so. She noticed this and moved closer to him, wrapping her arms around his shoulders and pulling him against her. "What's the matter?"

Titian didn't reply at first. Did he really want his mother to know the truth? That he was still in love with the Princess after doing every possible thing to prove he didn't? I hate myself...I'm such a terrible Troll. But he pushed away these negative thoughts and focused on Suki again.

"Mom, I've been a bad friend and brother..." he whimpered, feeling as if he were a little boy again as he hugged her back, burying his face into her shoulder. "I was unfair to Iris and I never helped Blossom when she needed it. This whole thing is happening because of me...."

"Hey!" The DJ pulled back, her voice hard with protest as she cupped his face in her hands and stared deeply into his eyes. "Shush. Don't blame this whole thing on yourself. Your father and I definitely have to take some of the blame too. We never noticed how much Blossom was truly suffering and I regret that so much. I can't say I entirely blame her for what she did..." The red Troll's eyes became distant and regretful and she sighed. "But why do you regret how you treated Iris. Isn't she the one who hurt you?"

Titian shook his head. "I wasn't paying attention enough. She was hurting because she couldn't live a normal life. And I'd had no idea how chaotic the life of a Princess was because I'm just an ordinary citizen of Troll Tree. Iris needed someone who understood her position and I was not there to help her." He stared deeply into his mother's eyes, seeing his own sorrow reflected there. "So, yes, this is my fault. And you have to realize the Iris we've been seeing is not the real girl. Creek...hijacked her or something. The real Iris would not turn on us like that. She's so much like her father..." He sighed, lowering his head.

Suddenly, as Titian raised his eyes once again, he noticed every Troll was watching them. He awkwardly shuffled his fingers together, looking away to hide his expression. He shut his eyes for a brief moment, seeing an image of Iris burning brightly in his mind. A longing ache filled his chest, making his sadness only grow. Why didn't his colors fade right then and there? Well, he felt there were right about to until a hand brushed his shoulder.

He opened his eyes, looking up and seeing Branch staring at him with a sympathetic gaze. "Titian," the King began. "I understand how much you loved our daughter. I understand that sometimes she could get a little complicated. But, please, don't blame this whole thing on yourself. If there's anyone to blame, it's Creek. He should've just gotten over the fact that he was not going to win. And he might think he has done that right now, but we will prove him wrong." The bright blue Troll's hand slid off Titian's shoulder and he stepped back with Poppy and Pine.

Pine just looked so different with her returned colors, a smile molded into her pretty visage. "I agree with Branch," the now-happy female commented. "Titian, I had no idea of your relationship with Iris. But I can see you truly care about her. We will bring her back to us. And we will also bring back Blossom."

Titian saw relief pass through Suki's eyes and Guy Diamond came to stand beside her, taking her hand and affectionately nuzzling her cheek. "It will be okay," the glittery male promised in a soft tone.

"Now, do we even have a plan?" Poppy asked, tilting her head to one side.

Pine and Branch exchanged glances, smirking ambitiously at each other.

Pine turned to the Queen, raising her head. "You bet we have a plan!" she chuckled. "And it'll work. Branch and I thought it over very, very carefully and we know this will be successful. It has to be!"

The whole Snack Pack and Branch and Poppy moved closer to the formerly grumpy female with interested, attentive gazes and waged for her to speak. Branch came to stand at her side, obviously ready to help explain.

Titian waited anxiously, his heart rapping wildly in his chest. Would he actually see the real Iris again after this was all over?

I had to do Titian's perspective again because I love him so much for some reason! 😂

Well, thank you for reading and stay tuned for chapter 26!