Chapter 36

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Iris' POV >

Iris watched every single thing with wide eyes, her heart pounding heavily in her chest, and her breath coming in fast gulps. The Bergens had joined in on the fight, and she couldn't count how many of Creek's Trolls were being knocked down all at once. No, they were not being killed, just left unconscious.

Her and her father had entered Bergen Town together to tell Queen Bridget of this terrible darkness Creek had thrown upon them. She was immediately angered and agreed to help almost at once.

The Bergens were doing most the work since they were much larger creatures. All they had to do was flick one of the Trolls on the back of the head and they were out. It all seemed too simple. Way too simple. Iris had wanted action, to fight like crazy and come out with a few wounds on her body. But now, that would not be happening. At least, that's what she thought.

Iris had been sitting on a rock, watching the whole action, her eyes strained on nothing but the struggling Trolls. Suddenly something slammed into her side, knocking her off the stone and making her hit the ground with a hard thud. She winced as pain exploded through her flank.

The Princess lifted her eyes to see the purple form of Creek standing over her, his eyes narrowed, and anger bristling through his expression. "You traitor!" he snarled, pointing an accusatory index finger in her direction. "I should've ended you a long time ago! You useless idiot!"

Iris pulled out a knife Branch had given her earlier. She knew exactly how to use it, from all the training her father had given her when she was much younger.

She scrambled up to her feet. "Kill me then," she challenged. "You're the last thing I'm afraid of right now." Even as she spoke the words, she felt a small flash of uncertainly jolt through her. She was aware of what Creek could do. She had seen his cruel heartless side.

Creek leaped at her, but Iris was ready. She used her knife to defend herself. Triumph flew through her as she heard a sickening tearing-against-flesh noise as the blade embedded itself into the purple male's shoulder. He gasped in shock and pain, his eyes wide.

"What do you have to defend yourself, Creek?" Iris snarled in his ear.

Before anything else could happen, Iris noticed something. Creek's weight was being lifted from her body. What on earth? she thought with confusion. That's when she noticed long, sharp claws curling around his waist and pulling him off her.

She looked up, her eyes locking with the sharp yellow-rimmed eyes of a Bergen. It was a bluish-green male with snaggly teeth and a bony form. Pretty much what all the Bergens looked like.

The Princess quickly removed the knife from Creek's shoulder as he drifted away from her. "What are you doing?" she called to the Bergen as she rose to her feet.

"Doing what should've been done a long time ago!" the Bergen roared down at her, his eyes blazing in anger. "I know this is forbidden. But all of Bergen Town and Troll Tree will forgive me."

The blue-skinned girl tilted her head in confusion. What does he mean?

Creek was struggling in his hand, fighting as hard as possible to free himself. But his injured shoulder was preventing him from doing much.

"Iris!" came a voice from close by.

She turned her head to see Branch scampering towards her, his eyes wide with panic. "Are you okay?" he asked worriedly as he scanned his eyes over her body. "Did Creek hurt you?"

Iris chuckled softly. "Dad, I'm perfectly fine," she reassured him. "This Bergen saved me."

Branch follower her gaze towards the Bergen towering over them with Creek held firmly in his hand. "What's he doing?" the King asked his daughter as he leaned closer to her.