Chapter 9

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Iris' POV >

The sun had set completely and Iris was staring out the window of her room. She couldn't sleep. Thoughts were haunting her mind. That spider...oh, it had certainly been a new sight for her. She had never been so scared in her whole life.

I put my father in danger, she thought, resenting herself more than ever. She was lucky Branch had only broken his leg and nothing more. After the family had returned from the hospital, Iris had gone to her room under her father's request and had not left since. She had drowned everything out, focusing on nothing but the memories of the forest.

The Troll Princess suddenly remembered Titian. She hadn't seen the sparkly red male since before she was about to go into the forest. She'd been too busy with family stuff. Would he be upset with her for pushing him away? He was such a sweet friend. She didn't want to lose him. But I think I see him as more than that. Right?

Suddenly, Iris' muscles seem to freeze in place and she ceased breathing. The sensation of a hand caressing her shoulder alerted her instantly. She wanted to turn around and see who or what it was, but fear held her frozen to her bed. The gentle warmth of breathing on the back of her neck made her heart speed up dramatically.

"Don't be afraid, Iris," came a gentle accented voice that sounded rather familiar.

The blue-skinned female turned herself over, feeling her terrorized mood melt away. She knew that voice all too well now. It was the stranger she'd met in the forest. He had promised to give her a normal life. She was surprised to actually see him standing in front of her. His posture was neat and his eyes twinkled kindly.

She let her bright pink eyes scan his appearance, taking everything in. He had purple skin, a leg bent upwards to rest on the side of his other leg, bright blue hair that was tainted green at the top and curled over in a sort of strange way, a big orange nose, and sweet, friendly dark violet eyes. He wore absolutely no clothes except for a single pair of yellow yoga pants.

"You're that stranger from the forest!" Iris gasped, propping herself up more and smiling widely. "I thought I'd never see you again!"

The purple Troll returned her grin. "Yes, I'm back," he chuckled.

"What's your name?" Iris asked eagerly. "I didn't catch it during our first meeting."

He winked at her before replying, "Creek." He let his bent leg slide down from its place and sat on the edge of her bed next to her. He sighed, trailing a single hand over the soft covers. "I made you a promise, young Princess." He glanced up at her, his sparkling purple eyes gazing deeply into her pink ones. "I promised you the life of your dreams. I promised you would no longer be treated like a goddess. A precious Troll girl like you doesn't deserve that stress." He used his index finger to poke her nose, letting out a little "Boop," noise in the process.

Iris giggled under his touch. She liked that.

"But, such a gift has a price," Creek went on in a more serious tone. "I will go through with my promise if you do something for me in return."

Iris perked up her head, swiveling her pointy blue ears attentively in his direction. "Of course, Creek!" she agreed. "Anything!" All she wanted in life was exactly what the calm purple Troll was promising. She liked him and trusted him. He was kind and caring. She half wondered where he'd come from and how exactly he'd snuck into her house without being heard. But then she remembered Titian did this sometimes if he was feeling bored. He'd sneak inside without anyone really knowing how he'd gotten in and talk to her for a long period of time.

"You see, Iris, I'm different," Creek told her, rousing her from her thoughts. He glanced downwards, frowning. "This is going to be a little hard to believe and you will be shocked but...uhh...I'm dead."

Just as the male had said, Iris was shocked. She blinked at him a few times. "What?" she asked, tilting her head to one side. "Is that how you got into my house without any issues?" For the first time since she'd seen him tonight, Iris realized Creek was slightly translucent. There was also a sort of eerie mist swirling around his lithe form. How had she not seen this? Perhaps she'd been too lost in her excitement over meeting up with him again that she had not been paying close attention.

"Yes, that is," Creek confirmed. "The thing is...once again, this will be a huge shocker, your mother killed me. She stabbed me right here." He used his finger to point to his chest. Iris noticed a large, gashing scar sliced across the location of his heart. He sighed softly, moving his hand away from it.

Iris couldn't believe what he'd said. Her mother? Killing a Troll? This guy must be on drugs! Her mother wouldn't hurt a fly! She loves everyone and everything.

"Why would my mother do that?" Iris scoffed, her voice heavily rung in disbelief. "It's just not in her personality. She's the sweetest, most gentle Troll I know. She wouldn't have the heart to kill."

Creek sighed once again. "Your mother isn't who you think she is, Iris," he told her in a soft, hard-to-read tone. "You see, I was madly in love with her while I was alive. I'm sure you've heard the story of the Bergen called Chef kidnapping a few of the Trolls and taking them back to Bergen Town, yes?"

Iris nodded. She'd heard it so many times she could retell it to anyone.

"I was taken away from my friends, almost fed to King Gristle. But I broke out of Gristle's mouth and begged for mercy, telling him I had a life ahead of me to enjoy. I was thinking of Poppy. I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her. So he let me go and when I returned to your mother, she told me she no longer wanted me. She had fallen in love with Branch while I was gone. So I left, completely heartbroken and so full of disbelief. A month later, I decided to return to Troll Tree and replace myself among my friends. But Poppy had spread rumors about me. Everyone hated me! Poppy had made up some story of me selling all my friends out just so I wouldn't get eaten. And when I tried to make things right, everyone demanded I be put to death for my unreal crimes. So I was. Your mother used a knife and stabbed me right in the heart." The purple Troll had a genuinely crushed look on his face as he once again indicated to the scar on his chest.

Iris had no idea what to think of Creek's story. It all sounded so real. His emotions were real. He looked like he was on the brink of crying even. The Princess felt a little sorry for him. Had that actually happened? Her parents seemed like such sweet, innocent Trolls. Her mother preached happiness to everyone and threw parties almost every night. Her father was caring and smart, only getting aggressive when his loved ones were in danger. How could they all just be apart of one big crime?

Creek had never been mentioned in the stories of her mother and father's adventure to Bergen Town all those years ago. Perhaps they left him out to cover up what they did?

Iris lifted her gaze once again to stare at Creek. "I didn't know anything about this," she admitted honestly. "I'm so sorry...what do you want me to do?"

Creek returned her stare, his expression blank for several moments. But then he spoke: "I want you to bring me back to life."

Aye, cliffhangers!

Yes, I had to bring Creek back because I have a big plan for him. I'm very excited for this fanfic's plot!

I hope you're all enjoying this story!

Thank you for reading and don't forget to vote!