Chapter 30

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀< Poppy's POV >

Poppy stared out from her hiding place among the thick vegetation, her eyes narrowed as she stared over at the horizon where the sun was just starting to peak over, casting only a bit of light over the Troll Tree. Her heart pattered fast with excitement and anxiety. Would this plan really work? They'd all figured out by now that Creek was the last thing from stupid. Even if he'd made bad decisions, he was extremely clever. Isn't that why I fell in love with him...? She pushed the thoughts away. She did not love Creek like that anymore. She had Branch and she couldn't be happier. Besides, he didn't actually love me back. He was just using me to become King. And now he's used Iris to succeed at that.

The Queen glanced over at her daughter who was crouched beside her, her bright pink eyes full of many different emotions. Poppy reached out her hand and brushed it against the Princess' shoulder, staring at her sympathetically. "It's okay," she whispered. "We'll get rid of Creek. He won't hurt you ever again."

"That's right," Branch agreed in a low growl from where he was sitting on Iris' other side. "I'm gonna give him something to think about when I get the chance." His gaze became dark and angry. Poppy knew how badly he wanted revenge. And she couldn't blame him. She wanted it too. I feel like this is my responsibility. Creek used to be really close with me. Maybe I should be the one to deal with him...

Pine cut into her thoughts, raising her voice just loud enough for everyone to hear but also keeping it soft so their cover wouldn't be blown. "Creek doesn't seem to be out right now," the red-skinned female said with a long sigh. "We'll have to make a few change of plans."

To Poppy's surprise, Pine turned to Iris, her eyes full of hesitation. But she spoke anyway. "Iris, can I ask a favor of you?" she murmured.

Iris looked up at the red Troll, her eyes sparkling quizzically. "Uh...sure," she answered, looking a little cautious as she spoke.

Poppy noticed Branch narrowing his eyes.

"You're the only one who can get to Creek," Pine continued. "I...I want you to go to the pod, act like you're sorry for what you did and beg him to take you back in. I know he won't refuse because he's so determined to have you in his hands." She sighed, obviously trying to regain confidence. "I know I'm asking a lot. I know you probably don't want to and you're probably terrified. But...please...it'll save us."

Iris looked determined as she stared up at the other female. "Alri—"

"Oh, no, no, no!" Branch snapped, gently grabbing Iris' arm and pulling her back against him. "There is no way you're sending her there by herself. Creek will hurt her and I won't be able to save her."

Iris looked over at her father. "I can take care of myself," she insisted. "Dad...you can't protect me from everything. I know you want to. I know you're scared of losing me again. But I'm your only hope. If this plan fails, we don't get the kingdom back and Creek stays in charge. Do you want that?"

Poppy felt a rush of pride for her daughter, smiling widely. She'll make a great Queen, she thought, but knew that day was a long way off. It would probably be many more decades before her and Branch even retired. "Branch," the pink Troll spoke, "Iris makes a very good point."

Branch still did not look too thrilled with the whole thing. But soon he sighed, relaxing himself. "A-alright," he muttered. He then moved closer to Iris, pulling her straight into a hug. "Remember what I taught you. Be safe...please. I'll never forgive myself if you get hurt." He gave her a final squeeze before pulling back.

Poppy scooted towards Iris as she turned and began heading in the direction of the village. "Hey, don't forget me, silly!" she chuckled.

Iris gasped in realization and ran over to her mother, wrapping her arms around her. "Bye for now, Mom," she whispered. "I'll be careful for both of you, I promise."

Poppy had hope for her daughter and smiled affectionately. "I know you will," she cooed, kissing her forehead. "Now go on and save the world, Cupcake!"

The Princess smirked slightly then walked off, leaving everyone else staring after her.

Poppy let her positivity show brightly on her smiling face. I'm not gonna sit here and think the worst will happen to her, she thought, raising her head higher. She's a strong, honorable Princess and I do have hope she'll be okay. No...I know she'll be okay. For sure. One-hundred percent.

The Queen turned back to her husband, moving over to him and rubbing his shoulders with her hands. "Don't worry, grumpy, she'll be fine," she assured him. "You can't deny she's strong."

Branch looked up at her. "Grumpy?" he questioned, narrowing his eyes. "Who are you calling grumpy?" He rose to his feet, pressing his nose to hers and smiling widely.

"Alright, guys! Come on!" Pine snapped. "We need to wait, not make out and draw attention to ourselves."

Poppy stared innocently over at the red-skinned Troll. "Just a few kisses won't hurt," she insisted.

Pine scowled. "Yeah, well, I'm just stopping you before those kisses turn into something else."

Poppy realized Branch had slipped his arms around her waist and was holding her right against him. She ducked her head in embarrassment, awkwardly shuffling away from the King and brushing her dress, crouching back down and staring at the half-awake village. Branch moved in beside her.

She heard Pine scoff in amusement as she stared through the leaves, the rest of the Snack Pack gathering close together.

Poppy looked over and noticed a flash of rage pass through Smidge's eyes. "I'll kill Creek," she muttered under her breath, just loud enough for Poppy to hear her.

The Queen blinked in surprise. Why...?

This chapter was a little shorter than my other ones, sorry :,)

I hope you all enjoyed!

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for chapter 31

(Dang this book is so much longer than Blue Poppy ahdjsj)