Chapter 13

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Poppy's POV >

Poppy chuckled slightly to herself as she gazed down at one of her old scrapbooks. It was full of the story of her father rescuing them from the formerly depressed and Troll-hungry Bergens, showing how they rebuilt their civilization in a safer home and did not see another one of those scary monsters for twenty years straight. It then went on to show her and Branch's journey to save the kidnapped Trolls from Chef, the evil Bergen who had a desire to be Queen. Her heart warmed as she caught sight of the picture of her and Branch lifted up on the mushroom by Smidge's hair. She traced her fingers mindlessly over it, happily engulfing in the memory. "This was such a long time ago..." she muttered to herself.

"Poppy! Poppy!"

The sound of a panicked voice outside their pod made the Queen perk up, her eyes wide and attentive. The door exploded open and Branch came rushing inside, halting close to the desk she was sitting at and letting himself catch some of his breath before continuing. "There...there's something you n-need to see!" he panted out, gripping his knees with his hands as he bent over.

Poppy hopped down from her chair, closing the scrapbook, and dashing over to her husband's side. "Branch, is everything okay?" she asked, resting her hand on his back. "Just rest. I'm sure it can wait. Here, do you need some water—?"

"No! You have to come now! Like...right now!" The bright blue Troll was looking very serious and a little fearful. "This is important, Poppy. And scary..."

Poppy frowned. What was happening? She grabbed Branch's hand in hers, gazing into his beautiful blue eyes. "Show me then," she told him.

Branch led the Queen out of their pod, holding her hand tightly in his and keeping close to her side. His gaze was sharp and threatening, full of vicious fury. She didn't usually see this look in the King's eyes and knew something definitely had to be going on.

Poppy noticed as they walked further out into the usually-happy village, the Trolls seemed distressed, muttering to one another in hushed voices. A few were keeping to the edge of all the crowds, looking cautious and slightly disturbed.

Poppy suddenly realized Iris was nowhere to be seen. Oh no! Please don't tell me she's gotten herself into more trouble! "Branch, where's Iris??" the pink Troll snapped into her husband's pointy ear.

The male turned his rather large head towards her, blinking. "She's here," he reassured her. "You're about to see her. But what comes with it will not please you."

Poppy thought she felt her heart skip a beat at his words. What did he mean by "what comes with it will not please her"? Was Iris hurt? Had she gone out into the forest again? Had someone attacked her? What was happening?!

The crowd parted to give the King and Queen space as they made their way through the clearing. Poppy was simply just following Branch, not really sure where to go. But obviously her husband did. He looked determined and valiant, his muscles tensed and his head raised high.

She felt a flash of admiration for him. He was the most perfect King she could ask for and he was certainly an inspiration to every Troll. He was calm and wise but would get aggressive and protective to help his people or his loved ones. She relished that part of him. It was one of her favorite things about his personality.

Her attention was snapped back to reality as Branch halted, his sharp blue eyes fixated on two Trolls up ahead.

Poppy spotted Iris, just as Branch had promised, but there was someone else too. Someone that made all the blood in her body turn to ice and her heart to stop in her rib cage. She swallowed nervously as anxiety churned like a strong blizzard inside her stomach, her feet and hands beginning to tremble. No...no, this couldn't be right! This was impossible! She had watched this other Troll die! She'd been the one who sank the blade of her knife right into his heart. She had watched the life drain from his dark purple eyes and watch his flanks go stiff as the breath was driven from his slightly slender physique.